Transfer case play - is this normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello I just joined to comment on this, I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe that I’ve been doing some stuff to, recently noticed from a stop with med to heavy acceleration that it seems like there is a ton of play in the driveline. When accelerating I feel it as a thud, not much noise to it, but I was thinking maybe it was a t case mount or something. It feels like it’s coming from where the t case is. Do you think it could be a loose mount or just a ton of slack in the chain? Vehicle has 180k miles on it. Thank you!!!
Check your motor mount, drivers side specifically.

Open hood, start vehicle and place in drive with foot on the brake. While keeping brake pressed, press on gas and watch engine through opening at bottom of opened hood and see if it rises a lot (2-3"). You may also feel/hear the clunk when it reaches the top of it's travel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has slop in the driveline somewhere? I think mine is mostly coming from the awd transfer case (needs rebuilding). 167k miles now.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has slop in the driveline somewhere? I think mine is mostly coming from the awd transfer case (needs rebuilding). 167k miles now.
Check your motor mount, drivers side specifically.

Open hood, start vehicle and place in drive with foot on the brake. While keeping brake pressed, press on gas and watch engine through opening at bottom of opened hood and see if it rises a lot (2-3"). You may also feel/hear the clunk when it reaches the top of it's travel.
100%. Maybe the way to think of it is a handful of likely culprits, in order of probability:
  1. Motor mounts
  2. Front differential mounts
  3. AWD transfer case chain (mostly only on high mileage trucks)
  4. Driveshaft slip yokes

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I pulled our 2007 XL Denali into the garage yesterday to install a Tru-Cool transmission cooler and perform some other maintenance as well, to get it ready for the spring/summer towing season. While I was at it, I did a thorough check underneath and noticed that I have quite a bit of play in the transfer case. I recorded a video to show you. Note that the front wheels are off the ground and I'm twisting the front driveshaft. There is much less play in the rear driveshaft but that's because those wheels are still on the ground. Anyway, does this look and sound normal to you? Fluid was changed 7K ago. 214K on the odometer.

mine has at least that much play in it with the wheels on the ground plus some lateral (side to side/up down play) couldn't tell if the lateral play is from the trnasfer case or front diff. from right under it, might drive it up on some ramps and check again with more room to move around.
did you ever do anything with it?

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine has at least that much play in it with the wheels on the ground plus some lateral (side to side/up down play) couldn't tell if the lateral play is from the trnasfer case or front diff. from right under it, might drive it up on some ramps and check again with more room to move around.
did you ever do anything with it?
Nope, I'm just letting it ride for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts