Transfer Case oil recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over a year later, how are people doing with their transfer case? Same beliefs on suggested fluids?

Just put some new Dex VI in mine, very little wear on the magnet after 36K miles. Changed the front diff too. Could not find OE fluid so went with Lucas 80W90 (10043) and she's quieted down quite a bit to where I hear the tires more now.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I want to make sure I dont make a mistake because this thread has been a few places.

For G80, what fluid do we use for transfer case? I thought the fluid only changed regarding rear differential. I called Chevy and they said my transfer case takes 2 qts of Dex VI ATF. Anything wrong with the Valvovline ATF they sell at walmart? I thought all ATF were good since they are so sensitive about quality.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I want to make sure I dont make a mistake because this thread has been a few places.

For G80, what fluid do we use for transfer case? I thought the fluid only changed regarding rear differential. I called Chevy and they said my transfer case takes 2 qts of Dex VI ATF. Anything wrong with the Valvovline ATF they sell at walmart? I thought all ATF were good since they are so sensitive about quality.

You want DEXRON VI, whether it be ACDelco, Mobil, Quaker State, etc. 1.6 Quarts or so; fill to the hole.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Isn't G80 the differential?

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't G80 the differential?
Yes.

So does the front differential need anything special? Does the G80 apply to front/rear diff?

Transmission - ATF Synthetic Dexron VI
Transfer Case - ATF Synthetic Dexron VI
Front Diff - ???
Rear Diff (G80) - ???

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my transfer case fluid although it was still red. Anyone provide feedback on the suggested fluids for my differentials. Its weird even dealership had trouble finding correct details for my front diff.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed my transfer case fluid although it was still red. Anyone provide feedback on the suggested fluids for my differentials. Its weird even dealership had trouble finding correct details for my front diff.

upload_2019-10-18_14-51-27.png

Front diff fluids in ACDelco have been hard to find lately that cross reference with original part numbers. So I went with Lucas and am well pleased.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

2 Qts of 80w-90 for front diff
3 Qts of 75W-90 Synthetic for Rear Diff

I thought the G80 required certain additives? Also, is it ok to have synthetic for front diff? I did not see that labeled.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't see why not. @dross99_si is about to do his and will be using 75W90 for the front.

What do you guys think?

@Galante @iamdub @Doubeleive @intheburbs
I Think the rear takes 2.2 or 2.4 but 3 will cover it anyway I put the girdle on mine and added around 2.8 because it had a little extra capacity, I bought mine at the dealer I didnt pay attention to the weight, I added the additive I do not know the "definitive answer" for using additive or not but I have used it before and never had any problem and it solved some noise issue's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh