Trans went tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to work this morning and about 1 mile before my stop the trans acted weird and slipped a little shifting gears. 50 miles each way commute. This afternoon when I left it pretty much gave up the ghost in <10 miles.

P0700 and P2723 codes. Wierd metal screeching noise. All forward momentum stops, but RPM goes up. Looking on my handheld, I can see torque converter lockup staying locked at all times.

Trans fluid at the stick was full. And non-burnt. No smell.

Turn off and then restart will allow limited 10-20 mph movement. Until it stops working again.

I’m rather angry about this. How does a 5yr old rig with 97k miles blow up the trans already?
A38DBA5C-E0A0-42A9-A238-F89458D73B60.jpeg

I don’t know if I’m willing to throw $5k at this rig if I can’t trust the future trans. Really considering dumping it this weekend

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks.....

I speculate rhe torque converter took a crap and now the valve body is probably full of junk. I'd say that a 5 year old truck is worth repairing, but its total BS that a trans failed in that time frame. Do you have the 100k power train warranty by chance? Depending on what your relationship and service history was, GM may goodwill it, or pay for some of it. I'm a fan of GM certa transmissions due to their 3 yr, 100k warranty.

Best-o-luck

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to work this morning and about 1 mile before my stop the trans acted weird and slipped a little shifting gears. 50 miles each way commute. This afternoon when I left it pretty much gave up the ghost in <10 miles.

P0700 and P2723 codes. Wierd metal screeching noise. All forward momentum stops, but RPM goes up. Looking on my handheld, I can see torque converter lockup staying locked at all times.

Trans fluid at the stick was full. And non-burnt. No smell.

Turn off and then restart will allow limited 10-20 mph movement. Until it stops working again.

I’m rather angry about this. How does a 5yr old rig with 97k miles blow up the trans already?
View attachment 385808

I don’t know if I’m willing to throw $5k at this rig if I can’t trust the future trans. Really considering dumping it this weekend

They put a thermostat on the side of the transmission and that seems to limit their lifespan to about 100K miles. Folks say the converter plate flexes thereby releasing clutch material throughout the transmission and while true, the heat and dirty fluid might have caused that solenoid to stick closed first. Can't say for sure as I'm sitting in my chair and you're over there.

YES! The truck is worth repairing if you like it. Put in a "billet" torque converter with the Sonnax parts and the lower temp thermostat. There are other parts that can be upgraded but that's a start for your research.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the amount of fairy dust released contaminating everything, I have to replace the cooler, the lines…etc. Pricing out drop in GM replacement units is $4500 + labor alone. I don’t have time to drop/swap myself.

Im looking at $6500 (ish) for complete replacement before core charge of $1500 gets refunded.

And after reading through the forum, I’m hesitant to do that. I had no idea the Tran issue was so common. Never had an issue with 2015 Tahoe or this ‘Burb until today. Instead I’ve been expecting a DOD failure for years.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
lots of stuff on those cooler temperature bypass things failing and taking the transmission out.
Earlier stuff didn't have it.

I would say it's time to build it better.
But you could always take a loss and let the next guy do it. :waytogo:

If you were close to me, I would probably shoot you an offer. :secret:
My 6l80 build was very pleasurable, parts were a little expensive but it's a fun transmission. :waytogo: