Trans Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthonypjacobs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a ‘22 Z71 with the 6.2 and max trailer package. Towing about 5000 lb today and I was watching the transmission temp.

It was between 178 and 189. I have always heard to keep it below 220. Anything from GM on these 10-speeds?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a ‘22 Z71 with the 6.2 and max trailer package. Towing about 5000 lb today and I was watching the transmission temp.

It was between 178 and 189. I have always heard to keep it below 220. Anything from GM on these 10-speeds?
In the February 2011 issue of Trailer Life magazine RV Clinic in response to a reader about the maximum transmission temperature allowed in a 2009 Chevy Silverado, the Tech Team had this response.

“General Motors’ in-house towing team expert provided RV Clinic with this statement: The maximum allowable automatic transmission fluid temperature is dictated by the transmission oil itself. The oil begins to degrade significantly above 270 degrees Fahrenheit, so we design vehicles so that in all but the most extreme conditions, the fluid temperature in the transmission sump stays below 270 degrees F.

We allow for up to 285 degrees F in extreme conditions (i.e. towing a trailer with combination loaded at GCWR in Death Valley). But for customer usage anywhere else in the country, even at GCWR, transmission sump temperature should stay well below 270 degrees F. Above this point, certain internal components, such as seals, begin to disintegrate rather quickly. Although newer synthetic fluids can withstand higher temperatures we still recommend this (270F) as a maximum temperature. "

dusttur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Towed my 5,500 camper this weekend for the first time with my 22 Yukon AT4 XL. Did great, I live in NM so it’s nothing but hills and mountain towing. Highest my trans temp got was 190, mostly stayed around 173. 190 is still well within limits so tow on my friend!