Trans issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have this weird problem when I start my truck it feels like the trans is stuck in low and when I gas it, it jerks so hard. Doesn’t matter if it’s in forward to reverse. It’s fine after a few seconds but doesn’t seem right. Any ideas or concerns?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean at idle or when in gear as you accelerate from a stop? If the latter, seems like a torque converter issue. Some have been issues with your generation, the first thing the dealership does is exchange all the fluid out and change the filter and see if it begins to behave. The next step is usually a torque converter replacement. But more information is needed, it could be a number of things.

OP
OP
Illnasty

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean at idle or when in gear as you accelerate from a stop? If the latter, seems like a torque converter issue. Some have been issues with your generation, the first thing the dealership does is exchange all the fluid out and change the filter and see if it begins to behave. The next step is usually a torque converter replacement. But more information is needed, it could be a number of things.

It’s when I’m in gear. It’s like it’s stuck in first gear for the first few seconds and can’t shake out of it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016, 8 speed

From reading the posts on this and another forum for the last year, the problem is usually attributed to the torque converter. For warranty work, the dealer will usually replace all the fluid and filter first and if the problem persists, replace the torque converter. Sometimes the former works but often it takes the latter for the problem to go away.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swathdiver from what I have read many times they try a re-program first then the fluid change then the torque converter and then a new tranny. It seems the latter two are really hard to get accomplished from what I have read.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swathdiver, no correction as I just wanted to add to yours. Certain Dealers don't even follow these attempts at a fix and they give the old " operating as designed" which is too bad for the owners having issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT