Trans flush & filter change- replace solenoids and/or... ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gearing up to do a trans flush. Is there anything I can or should do when I drop the pan? The shift solenoids are cheap enough, should I replace them as a PM? Any longevity or mild performance adjustments or upgrades or even just things to check or measure? I'm no trans mechanic so I'm going off of "recommended items" as I shop- boost valves, accumulator parts, 1-2/3-4 and 3-2 solenoids, etc. Not looking to do a full valve body kit unless there's something really significant and sensible.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I thought about some of those things, too. Everything I read was kinda like James said. If it ain't broke....

I just did the servo, filter, and a lubelocker gasket and called it a day.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's shifting fine. IMO, it takes too long to shift into D or R. It does shift harder (fast and firm after holding the gear for a little longer) from 1-2 and maybe 2-3 when the trans is cold and slowly accelerating with part throttle. I had the Torque Management reduced a hair when it was tuned, so I doubt it's that.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya if the pan looks clean inside, flush & filter. if you are taking the pan off may as well put on a drain plug, I sell some Dorman 2 packs on ebay, you just drill a hole put the drain kit on, bolt it up, done

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392295281380

I considered doing that but figured since I rarely drive it, it'll be years before I drop the pan again, assuming I keep this trans. On the other hand, if it's original and actually has 197K miles, then I may be dropping the pan sooner than expecting to replace something. So, I'll take a look at those. Thanks for the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne