Trans feels like its slipping/bucking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in search of a trans issue relating to what I am about to post but didnt find one that fit my concerns.

Its been a while since I felt like my trans feels like it "bucks" ever so gently when accelerating but this past weekend I was towing 3000# the bucking was VERY noticeable. I will admit the weight position was not ideal so I did have more tongue weight then I would like but limited on the loading options and it was a 35-45mph 10min drive back roads so......

My RMP's did not change and stayed consistent and speed changes wasn't noticeable but it was the feeling horizontally like it was pushing from the rear or "bucking" but not to be confused with vertically bouncing feeling that I would contribute with the extra tongue weight.

I was curious if others have had this slipping/bucking feeling?

lbenson

Reaction score
Does this occur when not towing? Kind of hard to tell if you have a bunch of weight behind you... When I tow my boat (roughly 8000lbs with trailer and boat together), I get thrown around all sorts of ways. How many miles on the truck?

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does feel like the same when not towing but very minor feeling. I was thinking the towing increased the feeling.

RLC2020

Reaction score
Sounds like the torque converter is on it's way out. Or, you have very worn out trans fluid and it cannot maintain pressure. I'd start by dropping the pan, do a fluid / filter swap and check the magnet for excessive metal in the pan. See if the problem goes away with fresh fluid / filter. If it remains it's probably the converter which is a known issue on these trucks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in search of a trans issue relating to what I am about to post but didnt find one that fit my concerns.

Its been a while since I felt like my trans feels like it "bucks" ever so gently when accelerating but this past weekend I was towing 3000# the bucking was VERY noticeable. I will admit the weight position was not ideal so I did have more tongue weight then I would like but limited on the loading options and it was a 35-45mph 10min drive back roads so......

My RMP's did not change and stayed consistent and speed changes wasn't noticeable but it was the feeling horizontally like it was pushing from the rear or "bucking" but not to be confused with vertically bouncing feeling that I would contribute with the extra tongue weight.

How many miles on the transmission and when was the fluid changed last? It's my experience that the fluid is plumb wore out after about 45k miles. Even sooner when you tow.

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans has 53k miles on it and it had a flush around 10-15k with the TSB

KCPhil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

This is a known issue. I had the same problem last year on a trip through the WV mountains. It turns out there is a service bulletin on it, but they will not address it, unless you complain about it. I had taken my truck in for service before leaving on the trip and asked them to check the truck for any possible issues. I ended up having to take it to a dealer in Norfolk, VA and spending half a day there, to get it fixed. When I returned home, that's when I was told that GM told them only to address it if the customer experienced a problem. Talk to your dealer.

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same problem at 50,000 last year in our 2017 Yukon. Which is recommended time for trans service but gm replaced our tourque converter under warranty. At 61,000 now and kinda feels like it’s back slightly so make sure you have them check your trans at the same time. Good luck getting a loaner we were without for about 5 days total.

JrKinger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All did also was reported the problem and then did a ride along with the service manager.

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as a follow up I dropped my vehicle off and described the differences with towing weight. I did get a loaner luckily as I was told the transmission service department was backed up.....I thought I waited 6 weeks to get in not to just get in and wait but.....

I was curious what is a GM torque converter lacking then an aftermarket TC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts