Trans Cooler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

faredo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Over the weekend while towing our camper we saw trans temps reach 213 so after some searching ive read the tru-cool 40k is the way to go. all the installs ive seen seem to replace the small oem cooler but more reading ive discovered its possible I may not have an external cooler at all. My Tahoe is currently in the shop due to hail damage so i cant just go peek, is there a way to tell using the vin? and if there is no external cooler, does anyone have a writeup on the install?
Its a 2016 with 5.3, 3.08 gears, tow mode button on the stick and oem hitch. no OEM integrated brake controller.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend while towing our camper we saw trans temps reach 213 so after some searching ive read the tru-cool 40k is the way to go. all the installs ive seen seem to replace the small oem cooler but more reading ive discovered its possible I may not have an external cooler at all. My Tahoe is currently in the shop due to hail damage so i cant just go peek, is there a way to tell using the vin? and if there is no external cooler, does anyone have a writeup on the install?
Its a 2016 with 5.3, 3.08 gears, tow mode button on the stick and oem hitch. no OEM integrated brake controller.
2016s did not use the old style external cooler. The transmission cooler is now combined with the AC Condenser with the transmission cooler residing in the upper portion. You can still plumb in your Tru-Cool. 213 degrees is nothing. It'll go over 260 before you get the warnings. That said, if you get it that hot, change it, don't wait for 100K or even 50K.

Don't forget, you truck has a thermostat for the transmission cooler, either "flip the pill" or get the new lower temperature thermostat. This will probably give you an even bigger bang for your buck over the Tru-Cool come to think of it. Get some more advice before deciding what to do.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the Mishimoto cooler on my 2016 Yukon and along with the new updated transmission thermostat my coolant barely reaches 180 in the summer in Arizona. Not the cheapest cooler, but far superior to any of the others and most trouble free, perfect install possible.

OP
OP
F

faredo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the pill flip like suggested and it was a huge improvement. I haven't pulled in the middle of summer yet but temps went down to mid 140s towing 6k.

RLC2020

Reaction score
I did the pill flip like suggested and it was a huge improvement. I haven't pulled in the middle of summer yet but temps went down to mid 140s towing 6k.
I towed about 4k this week through 90+ degree heat for about 60 miles each way and my trans never got above 170. Huge improvement over the stock set up. No extra coolers, just flipped the pill

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
used the Mishimoto MMTC-K2-14 Transmission Cooler kit for a 2017 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 Premier.

Amazing kit. Works excellent. High quality kit. Not too hard to install, but have to take off the front bumper. Kept the thermostat in place, so the cooler only gets used when the thermostat turns on at like 180-190. But normal operating temps I heard was good for the transmission. above 210-220 bad of course.

I don't think its ever gone over 200 or 210 now while towing up steep grades in > 100 F weather.

Attachments

• 20210219_103514a.jpg
    20210219_103514a.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 15

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flip the pill....e.g. replace the trans lines and have the thermostatic valve removed when the updated lines go back in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts