Tranny trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think it’s worth it to include an additive like the Lucas transmission stuff or is that just snake oil and hogwash?

LUCAS LUC10009 Transmission fix, 24. Fluid_Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ARTZPO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NbrgEbC0JM251
I mean, it’s worth a try, right? All you can hope for at this point is to make it last awhile longer, it’s definitely on its way out so why not. It’s probably snake oil but it might help get some more miles out of it. I doubt it will hurt. But it’s your call of course. That does have a ton of great reviews though, and Lucas is a good name.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, it’s worth a try, right? All you can hope for at this point is to make it last awhile longer, it’s definitely on its way out so why not. It’s probably snake oil but it might help get some more miles out of it. I doubt it will hurt. But it’s your call of course. That does have a ton of great reviews though, and Lucas is a good name.

It’s not quite that bad. I did less than 20 miles when it was cranky to the filter change. I did see the dirty pan, magnet had about 3/16” of crud. I can tell from the black line on my finger where I poked it.
It’s quite happy shifting under partial gas. Kinda noisy in an emergency interstate gun it or brake slam situation but moves along.

I did 150 leisurely miles today mixed highway and city and never had a burp.

I’ve pondered the Corvette servo and a shift rite kit with all the Sonnax goodies installed before this started. That’s valve body only but now I’m worried about the 3-4 clutch while the TCC valve and accumulator issues still lurk as well.

I’ll try to dig up what scarce service history I have on the truck but I can tell at one point it was used to tow a decent sized boat or camper based on the harness added long ago and locations (Biloxi,MS and Conroe, TX).

The guy at the shop thought a dealer had done the last filter change if it wasn’t original based on the amount of gasket maker he had to grind off.

I’m right at 125K miles on a neglected 4L60 so been waiting on a shoe to drop and it did. Just not sure yet if it was a bunny slipper or a work boot!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you but if you had a lot of clutch material like you stated, it’s on borrowed time. The 60 is barely enough tranny for these trucks due to the weight, and one with damaged clutches won’t last long.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... it’s on borrowed time...

The list of things that applies to on this truck is long and distinguished!
There are bits literally held together with duct tape, zip ties, and hose clamps. I keep enough emergency tools and fluids in the back to make AutoZone jealous.
The sad reality is that the longer I can keep it running on pennies, the better quality of life I can help provide for a sick family member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu