Tranmission Fluid flush and filter change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shipyard

Reaction score
Yesterday I just did just a first flush on a 2016 with 6L80 at 50k miles. I used method where the transmission’s pump does the work using the return line and Hayden 397 fitting/hose. About 14 qts resulted in much cleaner fluid cycling through. I plan to flush again at 75k miles and again with a filter change at around 100k.

Theres lots of videos and threads out there for a DIY flush, but one confusing thing for this year/model (2016 with 6L80 without towing package or aux cooler) was figuring out what line/fitting on the trucks trans cooling system to use… some hook up at the thermostat. For mine, the return line fitting is in a tight spot on the drivers side on the bottom of the radiator. Also the line needs to come off the close-by hanger as it’s pulled out of the female fitting.

Also… With mine warmed up to 180, I didn’t have any fluid pumping out of the pulled off line (because of the thermostat) in addition to the discharge hose. I did have a hose on that line too though, just in case.

Attachments

• AF1C9298-C46A-4010-8735-27722E129B7F.jpeg
    AF1C9298-C46A-4010-8735-27722E129B7F.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 11

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I just did just a first flush on a 2016 with 6L80 at 50k miles. I used method where the transmission’s pump does the work using the return line and Hayden 397 fitting/hose. About 14 qts resulted in much cleaner fluid cycling through. I plan to flush again at 75k miles and again with a filter change at around 100k.

Theres lots of videos and threads out there for a DIY flush, but one confusing thing for this year/model (2016 with 6L80 without towing package or aux cooler) was figuring out what line/fitting on the trucks trans cooling system to use… some hook up at the thermostat. For mine, the return line fitting is in a tight spot on the drivers side on the bottom of the radiator. Also the line needs to come off the close-by hanger as it’s pulled out of the female fitting.

Also… With mine warmed up to 180, I didn’t have any fluid pumping out of the pulled off line (because of the thermostat) in addition to the discharge hose. I did have a hose on that line too though, just in case.
You should change your thermostat as well. Mine runs about 150 max 160. It’s an easy job

Shipyard

Reaction score
You should change your thermostat as well. Mine runs about 150 max 160. It’s an easy job
Mine normally runs cooler like yours does . I wanted to be certain the temp was up so it would pump through the return line… so I drove it harder than normal for the 15 minutes before getting home. Towing a 4500 lb trailer in the summer, it didn’t get over about 195 if I remember right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17

Latest posts