Trailblazer torque converter with a 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcecarbldr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Trailblazer torque converter behind a stock 5.3 and if so were you happy with the results? I'm considering it because my current 4L60e is in need of a rebuild.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in a tahoe. But behind a 6.0 in a trailblazer ss. It gives a bit more stall speed off idle but once the converter clutch locks in it is the same as the 5.3 converter. I would say unless you are already going to separate the engine and trans, i wouldn't change it. But, if you are already doing work, it is an okay upgrade.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one for a core for a converter I had rebuilt. My rebuilder told me they have issues with heat behind the v8s in a truck application, so he always recommends a billet front half and he uses some internal parts from the v8 converter to make it more robust. I brought him the trail blazer converter, a truck converter, and bought the billet front half. Haven't actually used it, been sitting on the shelf almost 2 years - sold the truck I was going to put it in - so I can't speak to how well it works. My guess is very well, my torque converter guy has never let me down yet.

Cateyetahoe209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I used one for a core for a converter I had rebuilt. My rebuilder told me they have issues with heat behind the v8s in a truck application, so he always recommends a billet front half and he uses some internal parts from the v8 converter to make it more robust. I brought him the trail blazer converter, a truck converter, and bought the billet front half. Haven't actually used it, been sitting on the shelf almost 2 years - sold the truck I was going to put it in - so I can't speak to how well it works. My guess is very well, my torque converter guy has never let me down yet.
Sell ? $$? Thanks

03catburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done this many times behind cammed, Tuned 5.3s with no issues. I personally recommend that torque converter

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put one of those torque converters in mine when I had the trans rebuilt, and I'm happy with it. Go for it. Mine isn't stock, or a 5.3, but you'll be happy with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent