Trail fix tool kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think that was a universal rule coming as I did from Jeep. Then I read the reports on here of the 2WD trucks using the same unit bearing we are. Perhaps some of those guys with direct experience will chip in and comment. My understanding is there’s only one part used in 2WD and 4x4 front ends.
Both of the twins had 4wd fronts hubs originally, and still do after I replaced them.

7A1B2444-95E8-4D58-B654-9F6648DBFF18.jpeg32E43B9F-ECE9-4910-8D17-B3D8E4CC9B8B.jpeg17A31782-E095-40B0-9C63-CA48FB70488E.jpeg

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
@Tozan I believe you are correct about the Axle nut and hub coming apart. I've not tested that theory though haha. Sucks that's a ways away. I need to learn some trails up there too. I bet there's some awesome places to explore by Prescott? I also want to go do some hiking by Yarnell

@Bill 1960 would be nice to know if is fact as you mention. Anybody know if our 4wd hubs fly apart if axle is removed?
I am only 10 miles from Yarnell and 45 from Prescott. You can see the radio towers in Yarnell from my back yard.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet that sounds like real adventure! You're making a problem for me. You make me want to buy more stuff! I love idea of 9.5 ring gear. I need to rebuild my rear end as I'm running a cheepo junkyard special open diff after I blew up original (long story). I had also thought in the least when I build new one I could reinforce case with some gussets.

@afpj interesting, self sticking stretch tape? Is it better than gorilla tape? I'm not familiar.

Oh gosh, I just thought:

- I should also have a test light & possibly small DMM
- I carry a blue tooth OBDII code reader.
Rescue tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-...ocphy=9030751&hvtargid=pla-403299950047&psc=1

several different makes, versions, I just picked this as an example.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm making a shopping list linked below of everything that's shared with me:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sRuc0olYoUaZdb-3VgYTjC-ftxgPwwTI7AthRTGbvGg/edit?usp=sharing

@PNW VietVet I believe your thinking is along the right lines. I'd LOVE to chat with GM engineer who designed these. I'd have a hard time believing the hubs aren't much different as makes it cheaper to make them if they can use the same / similar assembly process. But I have no definitive answer otherwise. I should have kept the ones I took off and tore them apart somehow.

@Matthew Jeschke @Doubeleive The tow hooks work fine, just with a soft shackle instead of d rings to attach.

I just realized I hadn’t looked since adding push bumper. Doing that required removing the trim around the hook. I tried the d ring again, but no it still doesn’t.
I'm not for sure if is the case with C/K Trucks as mine was made in USA / Texas. However, some cars and trucks have loops on the frame. My buddy's Land Cruiser has them. They are designed to strap them down on the container when they are shipped. They won't hold a tow force / will break if used to pull the vehicle out. Long story short, if they're hidden up behind the bumper, double check what they are.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet I believe your thinking is along the right lines. I'd LOVE to chat with GM engineer who designed these. I'd have a hard time believing the hubs aren't much different as makes it cheaper to make them if they can use the same / similar assembly process. But I have no definitive answer otherwise. I should have kept the ones I took off and tore them apart somehow.
It was the best I could describe what I was seeing in my head. If is just pressed in and has no axle on one side and a nut on the other, and without a snap ring of some sort, I would not trust it. Almost like a rear axle shaft with a missing c-clip. Something has to give.

houstontaylor

Reaction score
I carry tools on the trail. My truck is a 2001 Z71 Tahoe. I was thinking though. I probably don't need a complete set of sockets. I think all most of the engine and things I could trail fix use:

8mm - battery cable
10mm - body bolts
13mm - engine accesspry brackets
15mm - oil pan drain?
18mm suspention parts

I don't recall any other sizes.... Other than 7mm for dash.

Additionally I have:

Tire plug kit
Multi-tool
Crecant wrench
Vice grips
wrachet
multi screwdriver
3 extensions
flashlight

Then goes in a gymbag with medical kit, duct tape (or gorilla is best), transmission fluid, jumper cables, and a tire pump.

Any additional ideas for trail fix kit?
A small 12 volt air compressor.

RottsRoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I carry tools on the trail. My truck is a 2001 Z71 Tahoe. I was thinking though. I probably don't need a complete set of sockets. I think all most of the engine and things I could trail fix use:

8mm - battery cable
10mm - body bolts
13mm - engine accesspry brackets
15mm - oil pan drain?
18mm suspention parts

I don't recall any other sizes.... Other than 7mm for dash.

Additionally I have:

Tire plug kit
Multi-tool
Crecant wrench
Vice grips
wrachet
multi screwdriver
3 extensions
flashlight

Then goes in a gymbag with medical kit, duct tape (or gorilla is best), transmission fluid, jumper cables, and a tire pump.

Any additional ideas for trail fix kit?
Good kit. I see a medical kit but a true trauma kit is a must (stop the bleed), kinetic recovery rope, tow rope, soft shackle, flares (led &/or igniteable, etc.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
This is an old photo of my tool kit. Since then I have added a 1/2 inch impact wrench, a Fluke multi-meter, a small plastic box with extra bulbs for every light in the truck and a lot of elect repair and misc repair items, a few larger sockets. I have onboard Air two ways CO2 tank and compressor. I can hook up all four 35's at once to air up or down in under 5 minutes. 7 Gal water. extra motor and trans oil. The camo pads on top black out the windows there are enough to cover all side and the rear window.
20190426_163315.jpg

All of this fits under my rear rack system along with 7 days of food and other comfort gear. I have a much larger trauma bag now too. This is my daily driver and at anytime it is good for at least a week in the wilderness... Other stuff not shown is ammo and a few firearms and my cooking kit.
20190426_163607.jpg

Here is a video with a little more detail of what I carry...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442