TPMS Wrong Reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was informed by a couple tire shops and the dealer that TPMS sensors do not necessarily read the correct/actual psi (usually they are pretty close or I would guess lots of people would complain) Or nobody checks when they inflate your tires so the TPMS reads 35psi but they had to put 40psi in to get the sensor to read what they want it to be.

Once they are off they may just need to be replaced and you still may get one or a set that are inaccurate. For example 2 of my gauges read the psi at 33psi on all tires, however, the TPMS reads about 30 in the Tahoe. I asked if the tpms could be calibrated and all of them said nope. I find this really frustrating when you want to run a lower pressure and the alarms go off because the tpms thinks they are too low. If I want to run 30psi the system thinks they are all at 27psi and the alerts go off on the dash. I was told all you can really do is replace the sensors and hope for the best. I'm not sure if this is correct but I've heard it from quite a few shops now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was informed by a couple tire shops and the dealer that TPMS sensors do not necessarily read the correct/actual psi (usually they are pretty close or I would guess lots of people would complain) Or nobody checks when they inflate your tires so the TPMS reads 35psi but they had to put 40psi in to get the sensor to read what they want it to be.

Once they are off they may just need to be replaced and you still may get one or a set that are inaccurate. For example 2 of my gauges read the psi at 33psi on all tires, however, the TPMS reads about 30 in the Tahoe. I asked if the tpms could be calibrated and all of them said nope. I find this really frustrating when you want to run a lower pressure and the alarms go off because the tpms thinks they are too low. If I want to run 30psi the system thinks they are all at 27psi and the alerts go off on the dash. I was told all you can really do is replace the sensors and hope for the best. I'm not sure if this is correct but I've heard it from quite a few shops now.

If you have GDS software you should be able to program the air pressure settings for the tires you are running. I reset the thresholds/alarms on mine all the time, the truck even knows that I am running Load Range C tires.

29tomt

Reaction score
My wife gets a report I guess from "the car" on TP variances. I hate it when it gets really cold and the TP falls below the threshhold. Anyway, my old gauges are not accurate enough. So, I have learned to bring up the car display on the instrument panel and adjust tire pressure until I get it on the mark. They update immediately.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score

I literally drove in to change tires...tpms were perfect and reading just fine. When the new tires were put on and i drove away the pressure were very off.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Did you have use the tool to reset monitors as your manual states to do?
Yes I had them reset by thr dealer a month prior and at the tire shop i swapped them 1 by one. Does anyone have an idea of what the tire shop may have done incorrectly because they were just fine before changing them out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I had them reset by thr dealer a month prior and at the tire shop i swapped them 1 by one. Does anyone have an idea of what the tire shop may have done incorrectly because they were just fine before changing them out.
How old are the sensors? when the battery gets low they can be wacky but still work, had one only reading 1/2 the psi before

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They could have damaged the sensors when dismounting and/or mounting the tires on the wheels.