TPMS - do I need the dealer to save me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I recently (last week) had some new tires put on. For the last week, the TPMS sensors have been working fine, all reporting pressures. I know that I had to re-learn them because the wheels were put back on in different places, so my pressures weren't showing for the right wheel.

I have the re-learn tool. I have used it many times before on other trucks, and once before on this truck. I know how to do it and the tool works fine. I went to re-learn this time, got through the left front, right front just fine. When I got to the right rear, I could NOT get the thing to register. I tried numerous times, held the tool at several different places (sidewall, valve stem, rim, inner sidewall) and nothing worked. I can't get past the right rear.

Now, even though my pressures are fine and I presumably have four working TPMS sensors, I have to deal with that stupid little TPMS light which is more annoying than my wife. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting this corner to read the re-learn device? Or do I have to waste a day at the stupid dealer getting this fixed?

tirekicker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
maybe you went out of order ...try again, passenger front first then passenger rear then driver rear then driver front

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I go by the truck. Driver front, passenger front, passenger rearm driver rear. The truck tells you where to go.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are doing everything correct like stated above then it may just be a bad sensor, almost any tire/wheel dealer can hook you up with a sensor, you can expect to pay generally 50-65 for a sensor installed (aftermarket) the dealer will get you for probably double that.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep they do go bad, sounds like you just have take a dump on ya, as was stated new can had for about $50.00

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Be sure the truck isn't near other vehicles when you do it. Might be experiencing interference.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I recently (last week) had some new tires put on. For the last week, the TPMS sensors have been working fine, all reporting pressures. I know that I had to re-learn them because the wheels were put back on in different places, so my pressures weren't showing for the right wheel.

I have the re-learn tool. I have used it many times before on other trucks, and once before on this truck. I know how to do it and the tool works fine. I went to re-learn this time, got through the left front, right front just fine. When I got to the right rear, I could NOT get the thing to register. I tried numerous times, held the tool at several different places (sidewall, valve stem, rim, inner sidewall) and nothing worked. I can't get past the right rear.

Now, even though my pressures are fine and I presumably have four working TPMS sensors, I have to deal with that stupid little TPMS light which is more annoying than my wife. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting this corner to read the re-learn device? Or do I have to waste a day at the stupid dealer getting this fixed?

Use your MDI with GDS software to check it, see what the computer sees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972