TPMS - do I need the dealer to save me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
When I ordered from eBay, yes, OEM new was key. An Indy did all the tire removal, TPMS swap, tire install, balance, mount tire and reprogram of the sensor.

The shop even caught that the first sensor was a dud and used another sensor in the pack of 4 I left with them. They only charged labor for one install. Unfortunately we don’t have Indy shops with low rates like that in SoCal.

Another sensor soon went out and I repaid them for the freebie on the last one and they sourced the TPMS sensor for me @ $45. No reason to dismantle them when you’ve got GM’s crappy chrome like bonded wheels that peel at the beads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you ordered on Ebay did you use OEM in your search and did you buy from a GM Dealer who sells on Ebay. That should ensure a GM part. Thats how I do it. Still cheaper than the local Dealer.

Yep. They even came in an AC Delco box. Seemed legit, although I don't think the guy was a GM dealer. Oh well.

The main thing I was confused by is that these things have been working fine for months and reporting changing pressures accurately right up until the minute I tried to do the re-learn, then the device didn't activate this one. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a trick I was missing or a way to "make" the thing work somehow.

I'll just pay for a replacement. No big deal.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These sensors are less than a year old and were supposed to be genuine GM parts. The eBay seller I bought them from advertised then as genuine GM. They weren’t cheap.

Dude... you act like you ain’t never been lied to before...

Same thing I was gonna say to you about that link you posted @CaptainAmerica1 ...read the reviews on those. If you think you can buy new genuine AC Delco parts ANYWHERE for 80% off think again. eBay, Amazon third party are both known to sell fakes or in the case of those sensors, used. There’s lots of reviews on those that say they suspect they’re either fake or used and if you read the ad, nowhere does it say they’re new parts. Lots of them either didn’t work immediately or only lasted awhile which sounds like the batteries went dead. They’re supposed to last 10 years.

mctavish56

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys,

I recently (last week) had some new tires put on. For the last week, the TPMS sensors have been working fine, all reporting pressures. I know that I had to re-learn them because the wheels were put back on in different places, so my pressures weren't showing for the right wheel.

I have the re-learn tool. I have used it many times before on other trucks, and once before on this truck. I know how to do it and the tool works fine. I went to re-learn this time, got through the left front, right front just fine. When I got to the right rear, I could NOT get the thing to register. I tried numerous times, held the tool at several different places (sidewall, valve stem, rim, inner sidewall) and nothing worked. I can't get past the right rear.

Now, even though my pressures are fine and I presumably have four working TPMS sensors, I have to deal with that stupid little TPMS light which is more annoying than my wife. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting this corner to read the re-learn device? Or do I have to waste a day at the stupid dealer getting this fixed?

mctavish56

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys,

I recently (last week) had some new tires put on. For the last week, the TPMS sensors have been working fine, all reporting pressures. I know that I had to re-learn them because the wheels were put back on in different places, so my pressures weren't showing for the right wheel.

I have the re-learn tool. I have used it many times before on other trucks, and once before on this truck. I know how to do it and the tool works fine. I went to re-learn this time, got through the left front, right front just fine. When I got to the right rear, I could NOT get the thing to register. I tried numerous times, held the tool at several different places (sidewall, valve stem, rim, inner sidewall) and nothing worked. I can't get past the right rear.

Now, even though my pressures are fine and I presumably have four working TPMS sensors, I have to deal with that stupid little TPMS light which is more annoying than my wife. Am I missing something? Is there a trick to getting this corner to read the re-learn device? Or do I have to waste a day at the stupid dealer getting this fixed?
did you try to set them with your key fob in learn mode

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you try to set them with your key fob in learn mode
o_O to do tpms on these trucks you just turn the key to run, long press the checkmark button on the steering wheel while in the tpms menu and that starts the learn procedure. you do not use the key fob

Esler32

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah ok. So would the dealer's scanner be able to read this thing or am I going to be paying for a new TPMS sensor?
TPMS sensor uses battery in it. The life of the sensor is 7 to 10 years. The sensor that is not responding probably has a dead battery. Order a new sensor at RockAuto and have a tire store install it That's your cheapest route

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing I was gonna say to you about that link you posted @CaptainAmerica1 ...read the reviews on those. If you think you can buy new genuine AC Delco parts ANYWHERE for 80% off think again. eBay, Amazon third party are both known to sell fakes or in the case of those sensors, used. There’s lots of reviews on those that say they suspect they’re either fake or used and if you read the ad, nowhere does it say they’re new parts. Lots of them either didn’t work immediately or only lasted awhile which sounds like the batteries went dead. They’re supposed to last 10 years.
That’s where I got mine, factory sealed ACDelco. I’m sorry you’ve had bad luck in the past but it pays to be an informed consumer...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s where I got mine, factory sealed ACDelco. I’m sorry you’ve had bad luck in the past but it pays to be an informed consumer...
I never said I had bad luck but plenty of people that bought those have, I was sending out a warning. Seems that was a hit or miss with those but FYI there have been members here who bought AC Delco spark plugs for 1/4 the going price that turned out to be most likely fakes. It's impossible to tell until they fail in short time, then it becomes obvious. The old saying "if it's too good to be true" applies to auto parts too. Hopefully yours don't quit working in 6 months like some of the others that bought from that company. Seriously, if you don't believe me, go read the reviews on those sensors. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Chinese companies that make counterfeit parts that look exactly like the real thing but it's a thing. Go look at the one-star reviews. Either used ones or ones that were in sealed packaging but failed in no time at all. Even the main picture shows a used part. Informed consumer? yessir.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said I had bad luck but plenty of people that bought those have, I was sending out a warning. Seems that was a hit or miss with those but FYI there have been members here who bought AC Delco spark plugs for 1/4 the going price that turned out to be most likely fakes. It's impossible to tell until they fail in short time, then it becomes obvious. The old saying "if it's too good to be true" applies to auto parts too. Hopefully yours don't quit working in 6 months like some of the others that bought from that company. Seriously, if you don't believe me, go read the reviews on those sensors. I'm not sure if you're aware of the Chinese companies that make counterfeit parts that look exactly like the real thing but it's a thing. Go look at the one-star reviews. Either used ones or ones that were in sealed packaging but failed in no time at all. Even the main picture shows a used part. Informed consumer? yessir.
Yup bought those Chinese knock off spark plugs myself. They refunded my money and told me to keep em lol dead give away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts