Towing with 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can tell by looking at the radiator. The transmission cooler will have 2 hard lines going into the plastic tank on the passenger side, and the engine oil cooler will have the same on the driver's side. I believe all 2010+ Denali's have both coolers. My 2012 does, but my 2007 does not have the engine oil cooler.
Thanks for the info. Yep it has the factory trans cooler and the 2 hard lines going into plastic tank on passanger and drivers side. Good to go I think! Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Basically like this depending on the model of truck in this generation:

View attachment 371733

The transmission oil cooler lines come out of the transmission on the driver's side. They cross underneath the transmission to the passenger's side and move forward into the right side tank of the radiator. If the vehicle also has the external cooler in the photo, a line will come out of the transmission cooler in the radiator and into this cooler and return to the transmission.

View attachment 371734

Well, looks like the fellas beat me to it! Should have read through before posting! LOL

Dave, what kind of gears do you have to arrive at those RPMs and at what speed is that? @Geotrash
Thanks for the information! Mine has the factory trans cooler. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
View attachment 371744

Ok, something like this ring a bell? This is with 275-55-20s, full tread depth, no slippage on the converter.

One thing I recently learned is that by going with a 3.73 gear for example, those 3rd through 5th RPMs at 70 drop to 65. Add 4.10s and they drop to 60 mph. Top speed drops too!
Thanks for posting, I appreciate it!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've seen quite a few of those in our travels, and they're "super cute" as my wife Sydney says. Interesting that the 240BH is heavier. Are you sure? I just looked at a few of them on RVTrader and it shows it as lighter than the 265RB.

Either way, you won't notice a difference with 600 lbs +-, even with the 5.3. We have an Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L, which lists at 5,795 empty, but that's a fantasy according to my CAT scale tickets. We're within all limits of our Yukon XL with it, but only *just*. It's right at 7,200 fully loaded for camping. Pulls no different will all tanks and cupboards empty and sitting at ~6200 lbs.
Yeah, the stickers list the 265s with a curb weight of between 4700 and 4900 pounds depending on options and the 240BHs show between 5400 and 5500.

You are correct though, I am probably over thinking this. I have towed a utility trailer with 5-6K pounds and it didn't seem to have any effect on the truck. Pulled a 6K boat last month and that was done effortlessly too.

Course, I'm in Florida, not at the Eisenhower Tunnel or Monteagle Mountain!

3.73s would be nice but if I put a supercharger on the 5.3 with the gears, it might be too much gear in slippery situations. Well, the trans is supposed to start of in 2nd in such instances but for the life of me I cannot get either truck to do that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L, which lists at 5,795 empty, but that's a fantasy according to my CAT scale tickets. We're within all limits of our Yukon XL with it, but only *just*. It's right at 7,200 fully loaded for camping. Pulls no different will all tanks and cupboards empty and sitting at ~6200 lbs.

That's a nice unit, don't know how I missed that one. I like the idea of the sofa inside, the larger gray and black tanks would help too. How long have you had it and where have you taken it? Remember, you got 80+ horses and as much torque over me, you think my little BlackBear tuned 5.3 could drag that out to Monument Valley and back?

Well, you answered that already!

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a nice unit, don't know how I missed that one. I like the idea of the sofa inside, the larger gray and black tanks would help too. How long have you had it and where have you taken it? Remember, you got 80+ horses and as much torque over me, you think my little BlackBear tuned 5.3 could drag that out to Monument Valley and back?

Well, you answered that already!
We bought it in January, 2021, so about 18 months. We had a single axle previously. We've taken it out west to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and everywhere in between. Lots of trips to West Virginia, western Virginia and the Outer Banks as well. About 15K towing miles so far. The tank capacity has come in handy several times when we've boondocked with it for several days at a time.

Yes, you would have no problem pulling this camper behind your Yukon XL across the country. And you would also have no problem getting up to the Eisenhower tunnel with the 5KL package in there. We see lots of folks pulling this model with half ton trucks, Suburbans and Expeditions.

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So made it for the first 3.5 hour drive. Ambient temp has been in mid 80s. In the hills and slower speed around Kansas city temp got up to 220 and trans up to 218. On the high way been running a little over 60 and on hills temp would climb a little. All that ok? And that's been using 5th as top gear. At what temp should I be concerned if the trans and engine temp go up? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14