Towing with 2011 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forum and have a new to me 2011 GMC Yukon Denali. I plan to tow an '05 Jayco Jayflight 27bh (4950lbs empty). Any suggestions/advice on towing with the Denali? I'm sure the 6.2 should easily pull it. Have a weight distributing hitch, and have a trailer brake controller installed. Plan on going about 60-63 mph. Should I go in manual mode and have 5th as the top gear? I'm guess at 63 I wouldn't get into 6th anyways, but curious about best RPMs to be running. Going to be flat or gently rolling hills (KS up to WI through MO and Iowa).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

New to the forum and have a new to me 2011 GMC Yukon Denali. I plan to tow an '05 Jayco Jayflight 27bh (4950lbs empty). Any suggestions/advice on towing with the Denali? I'm sure the 6.2 should easily pull it. Have a weight distributing hitch, and have a trailer brake controller installed. Plan on going about 60-63 mph. Should I go in manual mode and have 5th as the top gear? I'm guess at 63 I wouldn't get into 6th anyways, but curious about best RPMs to be running. Going to be flat or gently rolling hills (KS up to WI through MO and Iowa).

I tow a similar sized camper with a 2012 XL Denali. I run in M5 with tow/haul mode on to lock it out of 6th or it hunts in/out of 6th too much at 65.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If you want to have hotel power back to the trailer, there is wire taped up under the brake booster that once unfurled can be attached to the other post on the front of your underhood fuse block to send power back there when the trailer is connected. Remember though, that if the truck is off and trailer connected, it is still sending power back there, so don't let it discharge your battery.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a similar sized camper with a 2012 XL Denali. I run in M5 with tow/haul mode on to lock it out of 6th or it hunts in/out of 6th too much at 65.

Dave, would it be worth a BlackBear tune of the transmission for such work? I would think so but don't tow as much as you guys.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what the 2nd wire if for, but I hooked up both for towing. My trailers always have their own battery and the brake controller mounted in/on the trailer. DSCN9998.JPG
Tekosha 90250.jpg

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. What do your RPMs run at when you are in M5 at speed?

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. What do your RPMs run at when you are in M5 at speed?
Sorry, one more question. Trans temp should be running at about +100 over ambient air temp? I've heard that, just want to make sure the same with these rigs. Do the Denali's come with a trans cooler as well? Ok, thanks again!

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you want to have hotel power back to the trailer, there is wire taped up under the brake booster that once unfurled can be attached to the other post on the front of your underhood fuse block to send power back there when the trailer is connected. Remember though, that if the truck is off and trailer connected, it is still sending power back there, so don't let it discharge your battery.
Thanks! Good heads up on not letting the battery become discharged.

OP
OP
R

RDEVans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.
Yes indeed, great advice already! I'll throw some pics up once the rain stops and the mud dries up. The ol' girl little dirty right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts