Towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 Tahoe Manual states other wise it says to adjust equalizer after leveling with

According to owners manual pain the automatic level control section you should let it level first then configure the WD Hitch.
According to the HITCH MANUFACTURER you should follow the HITCH MANUFACTURERS install guide. Failure to do so will result in an improperly configured hitch putting undue stress on the vehicle.

The vehicle manufacturers instructions are general in nature and in no way can accommodate for what the hitch manufacturer specifies.

How do I know this? I called and spoke to a hitch engineer because their install guide was vague. He confirmed what I said earlier. If you have an active levelling system, it needs to be completely off when configuring the hitch. Pulling the fuses or the relay for the system is the only sure-fire way to do this.

Think about it.. if it's on when you configure the hitch, it'll automatically inflate to accommodate the additional weight and level the vehicle. It may look good but you'll be putting a lot of stress on those air bags to level the vehicle. Now do the same thing with the system off.. it won't be level when you start but as you adjust your hitch it will become level. You're then putting the stress of the additional weight on the hitch (which is what it was designed for). Now, re-enable the system and all its adjusting for is the passenger weight shift.

If I was to start my Escalade when the trailer was connected with the remote start, the compressor would only run for a second or two to level it.. That's what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

tim crow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The air level only works with the engine running correct? So you could just hook it up with the key off and get it as level as possible with the hitch then start it up and let the bags do the rest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air level only works with the engine running correct? So you could just hook it up with the key off and get it as level as possible with the hitch then start it up and let the bags do the rest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That works too

Sltx1050

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to the HITCH MANUFACTURER you should follow the HITCH MANUFACTURERS install guide. Failure to do so will result in an improperly configured hitch putting undue stress on the vehicle.

The vehicle manufacturers instructions are general in nature and in no way can accommodate for what the hitch manufacturer specifies.

How do I know this? I called and spoke to a hitch engineer because their install guide was vague. He confirmed what I said earlier. If you have an active levelling system, it needs to be completely off when configuring the hitch. Pulling the fuses or the relay for the system is the only sure-fire way to do this.

Think about it.. if it's on when you configure the hitch, it'll automatically inflate to accommodate the additional weight and level the vehicle. It may look good but you'll be putting a lot of stress on those air bags to level the vehicle. Now do the same thing with the system off.. it won't be level when you start but as you adjust your hitch it will become level. You're then putting the stress of the additional weight on the hitch (which is what it was designed for). Now, re-enable the system and all its adjusting for is the passenger weight shift.

If I was to start my Escalade when the trailer was connected with the remote start, the compressor would only run for a second or two to level it.. That's what you want.

I am just relaying what the factory owners manual says 2015 - 2020

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just relaying what the factory owners manual says 2015 - 2020
Great. Usually, they're discussing regular trailers and what they've deemed as the "average weight and size".

If you don't follow what I've made the castle for, get ready to replace some shocks as they're about $5-600 each at the Stealership.

Sltx1050

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great. Usually, they're discussing regular trailers and what they've deemed as the "average weight and size".

If you don't follow what I've made the castle for, get ready to replace some shocks as they're about $5-600 each at the Stealership.

ETrailer says the same thing but hey you know better right, and know they specifically say WD hitch and only say those are need above 7000lbs in the GM, but hey everybody should do what you do, right?

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ETrailer says the same thing but hey you know better right, and know they specifically say WD hitch and only say those are need above 7000lbs in the GM, but hey everybody should do what you do, right?
Do what you want or call the manufacturer.

It's $1200 to get a new set of shocks on the rear.. that's not covered under your warranty.

If you take the "I'll call them route" make sure you're clear that you have an active system and not passive.

Last edited:

captain

Reaction score
Hows it towing al? Looking to tow a grey wolf 23 or 26 with 2018 yukon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne