Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr1mike2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. NEw to the forum and don’t want to clog it up repeating the same questions. Looking at a travel trailer I’ll have to live out of for the next 3 years. (Military). Looking at 26 27 ft with tounge weights around 500. However the one I really want is 32 ft tounge weight of about 700. Can y’all point me in the right direction on the threads. I know it’s had to have been talked about. Thanks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. NEw to the forum and don’t want to clog it up repeating the same questions. Looking at a travel trailer I’ll have to live out of for the next 3 years. (Military). Looking at 26 27 ft with tounge weights around 500. However the one I really want is 32 ft tounge weight of about 700. Can y’all point me in the right direction on the threads. I know it’s had to have been talked about. Thanks.

That's ok Mike, you can start talkin' about it right here. What are you driving and do you know the specs of it and the trailers?

OP
OP
M

Mr1mike2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the 2016 Tahoe 5.3L with 3.42, 2 wheel drive.LT with the Tow package. Looking in the guides for towing it shows I can do 8600 max. The TT I’m looking at is the Grand Design Imagine 2670MK it’s info is
Dry Weight 6,561 lbs.GVWR 8,495lbs.
Hitch Weight 642 lbs. Whether I decide I can safely pull this one or not I’ll be using an Andersen weight distro hitch with the sway control. The other TT are in the weight range of 4500 or so with a hitch weight of around 500. I’m use to towing a pontoon boat but looking for some info on whether or not this would be a safe set up going with the 32ft. I’ve searched the internet and haven’t found anything but (you should use a truck or diesel). Just curious if anybody else uses a set up like this and what’s the safe methods or tips and tricks. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2016 Tahoe 5.3L with 3.42, 2 wheel drive.LT with the Tow package. Looking in the guides for towing it shows I can do 8600 max. The TT I’m looking at is the Grand Design Imagine 2670MK it’s info is
Dry Weight 6,561 lbs.GVWR 8,495lbs.
Hitch Weight 642 lbs. Whether I decide I can safely pull this one or not I’ll be using an Andersen weight distro hitch with the sway control. The other TT are in the weight range of 4500 or so with a hitch weight of around 500. I’m use to towing a pontoon boat but looking for some info on whether or not this would be a safe set up going with the 32ft. I’ve searched the internet and haven’t found anything but (you should use a truck or diesel). Just curious if anybody else uses a set up like this and what’s the safe methods or tips and tricks. Thanks in advance.

If the TT is fully loaded and if your tow vehicle weighs more than 5,500 lbs, you'll be over your GCWR of 14,000 pounds. @intheburbs

OP
OP
M

Mr1mike2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see what your saying. Overall I’d still be about 1000lbs under the combined weight at about 12,960. That’s after estimating what I’d carry about 900lbs in equipment and my 200lb self. I’d def have to use the scales. As far as fully loading the trailer I’d hopefully keep it under.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to add the weight of the Anderson to your drive axle. It should also be included in your tongue weight calculations as well.

OP
OP
M

Mr1mike2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I’m truly just going on a hope and dream. Even sitting down doing the math the best I could come up with was being just 1000 pounds or so under the gross GCWR. Still not sure that’s the safest route on the hwy going 800 miles. I’ll probably just stick with the 27 ft one I’m looking at. Dry Weight 5,195 lbs.
GVWR 6,695 lbs.Hitch Weight 427 lbs. it still keeps me safe on the road and gives me a few extra pounds for equipment and belongings. The TT won’t be loaded to the GVWR or have the tanks filled prior to the departure so I should be OK. Thanks for the advice.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it going to be just the one 800 mile trip? Or is that just the start of many journeys? If it is just the one- buy closer to that endpoint or borrow/rent a tow vehicle??? My daughter has her 5th moved by a company that does it. (But, yeah, paying for a 800 mile transport is probably not going to be worth it)

Just sounding out ideas...

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most travel trailers are not designed for long-term living. I'd strongly suggest a dehumidifier, or to leave the A/C cranked on meat-locker mode. Otherwise mold/mildew growth will be a big concern.

Weight wise, I'd recommend a trailer below 6k loaded weight. Look for something with a dry weight in the 4500-5000 lb range. My first TT was a Trail Cruiser by R Vision, 28 footer, 4550 dry weight. My half-ton Burb pulled it well. Loaded weight was just over 6k.

a0XXg09.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mr1mike2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it going to be just the one 800 mile trip? Or is that just the start of many journeys? If it is just the one- buy closer to that endpoint or borrow/rent a tow vehicle??? My daughter has her 5th moved by a company that does it. (But, yeah, paying for a 800 mile transport is probably not going to be worth it)

Just sounding out ideas...

We’ve looked into the closer to the next assignment and yes it’ll be the last. One trip there and one back after 3 years. Issue is I’m currently in TX and the RVs are everywhere and the prices seem good. When I looked out into the AZ area the selection seemed to go down and the prices a bit higher. The long trip has its issues like you stated. The best way I can think to mitigate is just breaking the travel up into a few days. Thanks for the input though.