Towing MPG (interested in all years, 2000 - 2017)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Can you get E30 over there? Should be less than 87 and will be as good as 92-93.

Im not sure, I havent ever seen it marketed here. I think the only thing i have ever seen is "contains 10% ethanol" on the pump. I simply fuel at chevron with premium, There was a time when i used to laugh at the price of fuel and did not care about the cost but the budget has tightened with private school's for the kids and just the cost of getting through life, You know the American Dream! lol, No complaints though. The only solution is to out earn the cost of living, There really is no other option and America allows "ANYONE" to work as hard and as long as they want to! There is no oppression in our country, Oop's there i go!

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure, I havent ever seen it marketed here.

Chevron is great, arguably the best gasoline IMO. But they're proud of it and for whatever reason many of the Chevron stations around here have dropped the brand and turned into BPs, Shell, etc. Probably too high franchise fees.

Anyhow, there are over 200 stations in California carrying Flex-Fuels. Except for Shell stations, you can identify Ethanol pumps by their yellow handles as you drive by. Then you can investigate further and see if they carry other blends.

It currently costs about $21 more to drive 300 miles on 93 octane gasoline compared with E30.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevron is great, arguably the best gasoline IMO. But they're proud of it and for whatever reason many of the Chevron stations around here have dropped the brand and turned into BPs, Shell, etc. Probably too high franchise fees.

Anyhow, there are over 200 stations in California carrying Flex-Fuels. Except for Shell stations, you can identify Ethanol pumps by their yellow handles as you drive by. Then you can investigate further and see if they carry other blends.

It currently costs about $21 more to drive 300 miles on 93 octane gasoline compared with E30.

I would love to try the E30 and if i ever spot a yellow handle ill get some. We live in Ridgecrest ca, and i am allmost positive there are no yellow handles at any of our 7 gas stations. Only ca would deny us an efficient option because they can make more cash on less efficient higher priced oxygenated summer blend.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to try the E30 and if i ever spot a yellow handle ill get some. We live in Ridgecrest ca, and i am allmost positive there are no yellow handles at any of our 7 gas stations. Only ca would deny us an efficient option because they can make more cash on less efficient higher priced oxygenated summer blend.

Yeah, doesn't appear to be any in your town. Bakersfield, Lancaster and Victorville at least have E85, not sure about E30. Will they run on JP-5? Got plenty of that nearby I'm sure!

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, doesn't appear to be any in your town. Bakersfield, Lancaster and Victorville at least have E85, not sure about E30. Will they run on JP-5? Got plenty of that nearby I'm sure!

used to be JP-8, now It is F-24. Im whining at 7-8 mpg towing. our AC are gulping 5-6 GPS in burner, yup gallons per second with a operating cost of right around $25,000 per flight hour. America has without a doubt the most lethal military/Defense on earth! Why anyone would want to go tow to tow with us is rediculous.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Odd, 7 e85 stations in SD but nothing else for 100’s of miles. I can’t believe there’s no Costco in Ridgecrest yet.

5e57c51dd0158683392b896ae8d5309c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd, 7 e85 stations in SD but nothing else for 100’s of miles. I can’t believe there’s no Costco in Ridgecrest yet.

Gas Buddy is more accurate. Victorville and Lancaster each have one listed but they are quite proud of their E85. Then there are dozens and dozens in LA out to Palm Springs and on down to SD. Prices in the metro area seem to average $2.85 a gallon.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’m gas buddy inept. Couldn’t make it work for e85 even tho I swear by the app, lol.

Just realized that the L9H 6.2L in the 09 Denali has no AFM but flexfuel compatible. That’s be a nice combo for a keeper truck needed for towing. 2WD option too if you didn’t need the front two for snow.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m gas buddy inept. Couldn’t make it work for e85 even tho I swear by the app, lol.

Just realized that the L9H 6.2L in the 09 Denali has no AFM but flexfuel compatible. That’s be a nice combo for a keeper truck needed for towing. 2WD option too if you didn’t need the front two for snow.

No E85 in the website version, app only. Yes, the L9H was the ultimate truck 6.2 IMO. A handful of 2010 Yukon XL SLTs got them too.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Since 2019 I see that the phone App for Gas Buddy is the only one that shows e85 or any grade fuel as an option. For those of you wondering about the corn fuel being run in the 09-14 NNBS trucks, e85 milage is the same going cross country as Premium fuel. Once you get into stop and go or in town the -2 to -3 MPG factor kicks in. It simply takes more fuel to get the truck up and running at speed. After that, the e85 pays back two the three times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505