Towing Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run across an LTZ w/ [rare?] 2nd row bench [that I need for hauling plywood, sheetrock, etc.] but it does not have the factory Tow Package. It does have GU6, G80, G69, JL4, Z55, and the same GVW (7100) as mine. Would it tow as good, better, or not as good as mine?

If your GVWR is 7100 pounds I reckon that is a 2WD truck right? Then the 2WD 2009+ Tahoe's tow rating would be 8,500 pounds with K5L. People swap out and trade the benches for captain's chairs and visa versa all the time so do not let that deter you. I like the captain's chairs, the bench seat hurts our backs and does not recline. To each his own of course.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed for years with the 6.0L Denali. 7000lb load no problem. Up hills... no problem.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled this smaller sled trailer with my 02 and 14, both with full tow packages. (02 had auto-level and everything you have). It would pull 85 if I wanted, but the mileage even at legal speeds was 7 mpg, so it was working hard. And with the 4 speed there if you wanted to go 3 mph faster the thing would downshift and kick up 700 rpm. I started driving by keeping the tach steady, not the speedo.

I love pulling the same trailer with the 14 so much more. Better power and the 6 speed trans. (Don't get hung up comparing the rear gear ratio on these two. The tow package on the 02 had 3.73, the tow package on the 14 has 3.42 due to the trans ratio being different. )

Now went with a trailer weighing all most twice as much but narrower, and better mileage yet. Wind resistance, not weight, was my issue.

RnR11-aerial.jpg 20180611_144231-Brite.jpg

calsdad

Reaction score
If carrying stuff in the back is one of your concerns - and you don't want to go up to the Suburban / Yukon XL body size , then you should probably factor in that even with a bench seat in the second row position - the GMT900 trucks don't give you the flat cargo area that you get in the GMT800 trucks.

I had a 2003 Suburban 2500 - and sold it and got a 2010 Yukon XL 2500 a couple of years ago. I like the 2010 truck better than the 2003 truck - but the lack of being able to have a flat cargo area is a bit annoying. I don't know why GM did that - since the two trucks are actually built on the same chassis (at least 2500 series SUV's are). Seems like a big feature loss to lose that flat cargo area.

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know that about 900s, that may rule them out altogether.

Re the speed vis rpms, I wish there was a cruise option that would do that - maintain rpms up hills at the expense of speed. I hate it when it kicks down like that!

However, mine gets about the same mpg towing as it does around town, 11-12.

calsdad

Reaction score
I did not know that about 900s, that may rule them out altogether.

Re the speed vis rpms, I wish there was a cruise option that would do that - maintain rpms up hills at the expense of speed. I hate it when it kicks down like that!

However, mine gets about the same mpg towing as it does around town, 11-12.

Especially in a Tahoe - where if you want to carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood or something like that - you're gonna have to leave the gate open. The lack of a flat fold down 2nd row seat is going to tilt the plywood down - and it's going to be more likely to slide out of the back of the truck. My 2003 Suburban was great for sheet goods like plywood - just slide it in flat and shut the gate. The 2010 is a little bit more of a pain in the ass because that 2nd row doesn't go flat.

As far as the towing stuff goes: My suggest would be to investigate the specs on the older vs newer stuff - and just upgrade components where you think you need better capacity. It's a pain - but the gear ratio is swappable, radiators can be upgraded - coolers can be added - etc.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's what 5th gear and Tow/Haul mode is for while using the cruise control. The shop manual says towing should be done in 4th gear.

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 manual says that you can tow in D but "You might want to shift to THIRD (3) or, if necessary, a lower gear selection if the transmission shifts too often (e.g. under heavy loads and/or hilly conditions)." If I tow in D even in tow/haul mode it will kick down even on slight rises like overpasses. I have the 4L600E transmission and don't have 5th gear.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
just my 02c, The tahoe is really short and "twitchy" and towing anything with poor aerodynamics ie' travel trailer/cargo trailer will not be easy and involve alot of white knuckeling while towing. we had the 03 tahoe with 4.8/342 and it could not pull it's own weight up a grade without downshifting. I struggled to pull our 4400 lb travel trailer up hills and if there was a head wind you might as well pull over and set up camp. put the 373 diff in and made a difference but did not change the fact that it was under powered and to short to tow safely. Look for a longer wheelbase and more power. We chose the 08 yukon xl1500 6.2 125k miles and paid $15k.

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I've only towed w/ Tahoes ('95 and '02) and only open car haulers so I guess I'm used to whatever deficiencies the short wheelbase Tahoe has. I will say that I put 2 trannies in the '95.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeG1302

Latest posts