Towing 18' aluminum car trailer with diesel 3.0 23 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike481

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 23 Yukon SLT with the 3.0 and max trailering package. I have a 18' aluminum car trailer that weighs in at 1.5k and I want to be able to load up a project car. Worst case I would hit 6.5K pounds. I have towed this same setup using my 2016 Colorado Diesel and a WDH with no problems. How do you guys think the Yukon would handle?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be fine and even better with air suspension. I pull a 6500# TriToon and you know its back there, but certainly within its capabilities.

WVBKW

Reaction score
You will be in good shape. I have a 22' Aluminum car hauler. I tow 2 sxs's on it, I estimate the entire setup to be a little over 6K lbs. I also have air-ride/max tow. Zero issues. I have the 6.2, it tows it well, you will know when you are climbing a hill etc, but I always feel very safe.

RaptorJet31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also tow a tritoon in the 6-6500 lb range with no issues at all. The 3.0 is a chugger, very happy with this motor. I do wish they would make a HD suburban 2500 lol but for what I'm towing the 3.0 is very good. It gets better gas mileage towing than I did in my 1500 and 2500's without towing. Only 14k miles but rock solid so far.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On paper they have roughly the same towing capacity; assume similar and you'll probably have your expectations surpassed.

MrMike1289

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I pull a 28ft travel trailer with my 3.0l Yukon. Weighs probably close to 7,000 loaded I’m sure. You can definitely tell it’s back there but it pulls well. My biggest concern is the wind pulling me around. I’m also patient when climbing hills.

semperfidevil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those towing with their 3.0 Yukon XL or Suburban, is Air Ride Suspension a must have? And those without the Air Ride, does the sagging cause any troubles?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those towing with their 3.0 Yukon XL or Suburban, is Air Ride Suspension a must have? And those without the Air Ride, does the sagging cause any troubles?
Well it's probably not a "must have" but it is surely a "Nice to have" as if you are heavy and have cargo area loaded, it just looks like you are overweight and should have a 3/4 ton or something. But still not a must have.....

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We tow very little with our 3.0 Denali, but we tow a lot with our 3.0 ecoDiesel. They are similarly 'soft' in the tail when towing say 6-8k lbs.

On the eco I've gone to Timbern's (purposefully not air suspension as the air system in mopar is trash in cold climates). Timbern's are a great solution if you tow say 25% of the time, zero change to empty usability, significant improvement in tail sag when loaded.

On the Denali also have stayed away from air suspension (gm's version is better the mopar's but they still fail, last 3 all failed just after warranty). Typically towing say 5k lbs on a tandem trailer, the tail sag has been minimal.

I personally wouldn't own either mopar or gm with air suspension unless I couldn't avoid them; I've been burnt by both of them to many times.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't own either mopar or gm with air suspension unless I couldn't avoid them; I've been burnt by both of them to many times.
Regarding your being burnt with GM's "active air-ride suspension"... can you elaborate ? Was your local GMC or Chevy dealerships not able to make repairs ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons

Latest posts