Tow Truck Ripped Frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, that looks like some thin metal at that point as mentioned. 1/16"????

Ont240

Reaction score
Hi All, I will save the long backstory, but I had to have my 2022 Yukon towed in with a failed lifter. In the process, the tow driver ripped through my frame on both sides from hooking up the rear of the truck on a flatbed and then tightening them too much on the winch. GM roadside, which is not run by GM, is a nightmare to deal with so I went to two body shops to get the prices started. The first said it should not affect frame integrity and could just be cleaned up for looks. Another body shop said the entire frame needed to be replaced. Any current or former body shop guys with an opinion?

It’s going to be a fun new year sorting this out with GM roadside.
That was a frame drain hole the operator should have never hooked to. iMO hammer it flat and weld it up. Not a critical tear.

StuckinMN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All, I will save the long backstory, but I had to have my 2022 Yukon towed in with a failed lifter. In the process, the tow driver ripped through my frame on both sides from hooking up the rear of the truck on a flatbed and then tightening them too much on the winch. GM roadside, which is not run by GM, is a nightmare to deal with so I went to two body shops to get the prices started. The first said it should not affect frame integrity and could just be cleaned up for looks. Another body shop said the entire frame needed to be replaced. Any current or former body shop guys with an opinion?

It’s going to be a fun new year sorting this out with GM roadside.
You will need to file an accident report with the police. The police will need their insurance info for the report.

You actually file with your insurance company. You will need their insurance info so your insurance company can subjugate to their insurance company.

The laws are written so you do not have to deal with the other party or their insurance company - that is the police and your insurance company's job.

Given it is a 2022 I don't know what I would do. If you plan on selling it in the next 5 or 6 years you will get less as it will be reported on CarFax. If you keep the vehicle for longer, it probably won't matter.

I am not an expert but I think having the frame replaced might create more problems down the line. Do these things go back together that well?

Unfortunately, many cars bought recently sat while waiting for parts / silicon, etc. So many are having issues (like lifters : ) I really need some newer vehicles but will not be buying anything built after March 2020.

Lanaue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
exactly I have been told directly "your rate is not going up" which is exactly how it is supposed to be when you are not at fault.
I agree it’s never been a problem for me. Let them deal with it. I promise they’ll get their money back from whoever’s at fault.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
In CA an incident involves two or more vehicles with 1.4k or more in damages. Even if it’s not traffic related an Incident Report absolutely needs to be filed to protect BOTH parties interests. Don’t skimp here.

Either consult with an attorney or call your Ins Co. DO NOT deal with dealership or tow company. As of now you haven’t been screwed and can be made whole. Don’t dally and give that away by accepting what sounds right vs cold hard facts.

Bill Barnes

Reaction score
You definitely do NOT want the frame replaced. As StuckinMN posted, that will create far more problems than you currently have, and you might never be able to trade in or sell the vehicle. Just get it repaired.

CrazyRaider

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I had my 2018 Tahoe towed, we couldn’t put it in Neutral. The tow cable was struggling to even move Tahoe , fear cable might snap or rip frame. This is a know issue with Tahoes. I ended up opening dash below steering column and was able to shift gear manually.

jankihaii3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen a fairly similar situation first hand with another brand. In the case of this vehicle, two front of frame brackets which housed an electronic component were bent while at the dealer. The repair was fairly straight forward, unbolt the brackets and bolt on new ones. These brackets are in fact a frame component, listed as such on the parts database and repair time guide. You see where this is going...

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd spray some aerosol undercoat or Rust-Oleum on it, and forget about it. No big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64