Tow squat and IRS: bad combo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skid51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to replace my ‘16 Yukon Denali with a new Tahoe or Yukon. I tow a 6500lb trailer and while the levelling rear air shocks on the Denali‘S MRC do help I still get a 1-2 inches of rear squat while towing. This is not a big deal since it has a solid rear axle. But any significant squat _would_ be a big deal on an IRS vehicle. Wheels would camber in and likely toe in and tire wear on the inside shoulders could be a serious issue. I can’t think of any other vehicle that is rated to tow 8000lbs+ and that has IRS. What are experiences out there with tire wear and dynamic alignment while towing heavy on the 21+ trucks? Do you have to use helper air bags to keep it level? And yes, going with the air ride suspension is an option, I raised some questions on that separately on another post.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love towing w/ mine. The guys at TFL truck (YouTube channel) did a max tow w/ a Suburban High Country and and RST. Was not a ton of squat, but some. They like it better than the expedition (also IRS)

You probably should order the Air Suspension if you plan on towing toward the max, and consider weight distributing hitch.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your worrying to much. It tows fine. There have been plenty of irs equipped towing vehicles. The previous generation sequoia comes to mind, as well as Mercedes gls, BMW x7, Nissan armada etc. Air bags do help with squat as does a weight distributing hitch.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace my ‘16 Yukon Denali with a new Tahoe or Yukon. I tow a 6500lb trailer and while the levelling rear air shocks on the Denali‘S MRC do help I still get a 1-2 inches of rear squat while towing. This is not a big deal since it has a solid rear axle. But any significant squat _would_ be a big deal on an IRS vehicle. Wheels would camber in and likely toe in and tire wear on the inside shoulders could be a serious issue. I can’t think of any other vehicle that is rated to tow 8000lbs+ and that has IRS. What are experiences out there with tire wear and dynamic alignment while towing heavy on the 21+ trucks? Do you have to use helper air bags to keep it level? And yes, going with the air ride suspension is an option, I raised some questions on that separately on another post.

It depends on the type of independent suspension design. A MacPherson strut design experiences far more camber change than a double wishbone setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts