Tow Package Air Shock Replacement Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christoph

Reaction score

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
normal operation is for the pump to come on each time the key is turned to run. I have had to replace my air pump before for the exact same reason.
here is some more technical information on how the system operates or should operate.

https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/gm-autoride-diagnostics-service-and-conversion/

The system on my wife's denali seems to operate fine. Pumps up and deflates when needed, which is rarely but it does. But never have I ever heard the pump kick on for any other reason besides raising the rear. Certainly doesn't every time the vehicle is started. If it does, I have never noticed it... I will pay close attention the next startup.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The system on my wife's denali seems to operate fine. Pumps up and deflates when needed, which is rarely but it does. But never have I ever heard the pump kick on for any other reason besides raising the rear. Certainly doesn't every time the vehicle is started. If it does, I have never noticed it... I will pay close attention the next startup.
if you dig around deep enough there is one gm document that say's that the pump may not come on every time which contradicts how it is supposed to operate. mine used to not come on everytime and the shocks would be empty after sitting overnight when I first got the truck, replaced both shocks and pump everything worked fine for about a year, then the pump started not coming on again everytime, replaced the pump everything worked fine again for about another year, then the shocks started going empty after about an hour or less, the pump would come on but I discovered that it was leaking air back thru the pump, bought another pump and everything is working fine again.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 2015 LT with trailer package and auto level control. My vehicle now has 90k miles and has never done the described test sequence each time it is started. The system has always worked correctly by pumping up
the shocks to level the rear when weighed down by a trailer etc. It does take quite a bit of time to bleed back down after the load is removed unless it is being driven.

I should mention that I replaced the super stiff rear trailer option springs with #5321 Beltech springs to lower the rear 2" and greatly improve the ride. To recalibrate the height adjustment rods I purchased a couple of 3" long 1/8" all threaded bolts from Home Depot, cut the heads off and transferred the caps from the oem rods. I think the adjustment was about 2 .75" from socket to socket center

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie