Torsion lowering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillip Moody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's up y'all. I have an issue I need help with. I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe z71 that I bought from a previous owner which was a 17yo kid. Kid got new 20in off-road rims with 33in mud tires and tried to crank up the torsion bars to get some clearance for those 33s. Well come to find out the passenger side is almost 2ins higher than the driver side and it's been causing popping and clanking of my brand new CV on that side that I just installed. So I go under there to try to level it out and I got the bolt on level with the driver side but for some odd reason the truck didn't budge an inch or not even that. What do I do for a matter like that b|c I don't want to end up having to replace the brand new CV that I just installed 2 weeks ago. I even sprayed wd-40 all in the torsion bar channels to maybe see if that will break it free from being stuck but still nothing.

OP
OP
Phillip Moody

Phillip Moody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was actually trying to lower it. Driver side is at 8ins and the passenger is stuck at 9.5ins. I'm trying to lower the passenger side to get leveled as the driver side but no luck. I torsion bolt is right in par with the driver side but no change on the height.. I sprayed wd-40 all in the area where the bolt and the key is and I also sprayed in the torsion bar channel right where it ends at the wheels to see if that helps but nothing.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually trying to lower it. Driver side is at 8ins and the passenger is stuck at 9.5ins. I'm trying to lower the passenger side to get leveled as the driver side but no luck. I torsion bolt is right in par with the driver side but no change on the height.. I sprayed wd-40 all in the area where the bolt and the key is and I also sprayed in the torsion bar channel right where it ends at the wheels to see if that helps but nothing.
They will not be the exact same as the other side. Driver side will be different than passenger side. All the chevys have a lean. An the gas tank is on drivers. Mine is perfectly level an the drivers side is way more cranked than passenger side.

OP
OP
Phillip Moody

Phillip Moody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They will not be the exact same as the other side. Driver side will be different than passenger side. All the chevys have a lean. An the gas tank is on drivers. Mine is perfectly level an the drivers side is way more cranked than passenger side.
Well I mean shouldn't it at least be only .5 more than the driver side though? My main concern is it's so high that it's making my CV clank bad and it pops pretty hard when turning sharp right. I literally just replaced both CVS thinking that was the case but it wasn't.. Definitely not trying to spend more money on another one b|c of it wearing down due to the popping and clanking? Or would it be another issue?

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If u just changed the cv an u have that noise it could be something else. I mean u could of got a dud but i doubt it. Could be sway bar links or any other front end part. If u lived in cookeville area i would check it out for u. I highly doubt it has anything to do with height. I’m slammed in the front. Done all the front end work myself. But I have a 2wd. It could be a number of things. Ball joints, tie rods, idler, pitman.

FFF707FE-BD22-46C0-83BF-BC8B6659ECD8.jpeg

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely do not think it would be the cv tho. Your torsion bar could also make noises

OP
OP
Phillip Moody

Phillip Moody

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If u just changed the cv an u have that noise it could be something else. I mean u could of got a dud but i doubt it. Could be sway bar links or any other front end part. If u lived in cookeville area i would check it out for u. I highly doubt it has anything to do with height. I’m slammed in the front. Done all the front end work myself. But I have a 2wd. It could be a number of things. Ball joints, tie rods, idler, pitman.

View attachment 281260
I actually just installed brand new sway bar links too so it definitely can't be that. I have a guess though that it could be the wheel hub b|c I do hear a little noise when I have it jacked up and turn the wheel.i might see about ordering new wheel hubs for both sides and see if that works. If that don't work then I don't know what else to do..I know the truck was in a wreck Before I got it on that same side. Title is salvaged unfortunately. I'm really hoping it ain't something more serious that I can't see.