Torsion Key Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Tah0eZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I got some aftermarket ford keys online and got them installed at a shop. Noticed that the screw was all the way out, and wanted to see what would happened if I cranked the key up. It did nothing, was wondering if this would be something to do with the shocks maxing out or if it was another issue, and would shock extender fix this issue.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket "ford keys"? What am I missing.

I assume stock F-150 keys, but aftermarket equivalents. Stock '97-'03 F-150 keys are a bolt-in ~1.5" lift due to the indexing, but with the adjuster bolt at the minimum. They have the ability to go to ~3.5" of lift. Sourced from a salvage yard, they're a cheap lift solution.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got some aftermarket ford keys online and got them installed at a shop. Noticed that the screw was all the way out, and wanted to see what would happened if I cranked the key up. It did nothing, was wondering if this would be something to do with the shocks maxing out or if it was another issue, and would shock extender fix this issue.

Was it any higher than stock with the bolt all the way out? If you cranked it all the way up and no difference was made to the height, then something is limiting it, such as the shocks. Does it ride really stiff now?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No wonder I didn't know about it. I am not a lifted or lowered fan. Leveled is ok with me though but everyone has their preferences. I had 6" lift on my off road rig but that was for big bogger 38" tires and all the suspension travel I built in to it.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like several issues. More information is needed. Load on the adjusting screws may need to be releived when making changes to the torsion bars load, as in ride height. search for the recommended methods to changing torsion bar load on these vehicles. Some of the vehicles have many miles and many non-oem modifications. Readers have no way to know details.

OP
OP

03Tah0eZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was it any higher than stock with the bolt all the way out? If you cranked it all the way up and no difference was made to the height, then something is limiting it, such as the shocks. Does it ride really stiff now?
So its is ford leveling keys, but it gave me about 3 inches just with the keys installed screw all the way out. ( which is alot ) but as far as the ride it’s real bouncy because I have no bump stops. Angles are good.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you have a link to that thread can’t seem to find it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2