Torque Convertor Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mattbta

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would driving in tow mode also verify that also. I have been told before that when you feel shutter to watch tach for jumping RPM.
I'll have to pay closer attention, but when my symptoms exhibit, I don't recall seeing any RPM fluctuations.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My transmission calibration for my 2004 RWD was 12587979 and as of yesterday is now 12602140. According to TIS, that update is not associated with any bulletin. The comments state “New calibration to address customer complaint of second gear start”.

Do you happen to have the TSB number? Thanks.

So cool to be able to program and update calibrations. Those are the same - before and after - for my '04 PCM-Transmission calibration that I updated in 2021.

Dan1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Howdy, all.

2004 L59 RWD with 3.73's and 168k miles, only towed once at 107k. I drive like a grandpa but didn't do proper maintenance on the trans. Last year (<1000 miles ago) had a fluid/filter swap done when the rear main was done.

Experiencing what feels like a shudder on the 1-2 shift at slow speeds as well as at around 2000 RPM in OD (no other gears). Wondering if this is TC shudder? I know that the TC's are prone to go and when they do, they take the trans with it. I would hate to pay labor on just a TC swap and then the trans gives up later as that would make 3x the trans comes out.

• Should I just send it and get a TC and rebuilt trans done now, before assured mutual destruction?
  • Ideas on brands?
  • Ideas on stall speed? (Eventually, I'll heads/cam it or 6.0 swap with head/cam. Probably not going to use boost. )

I'm in Dallas metroplex so if any installer recs, too, pass along. Appreciate input. Thanks!
Several issues to consider, however, with the mileage it sounds like your 2-4 band is starting to fail. Transmission rebuilder here for 30 years in nebraska have built hundreds of hurdreds 4l60e around here, over and over and over...

lyncht1967

Reaction score
2002 L59 249,000 miles..had similar stutter/shutter at those points you described...was sure i had a tcc issue...was this close (fingers indicating pretty damn close) to dropping my pan and changing some solenoids, doing the pwm hack...and it would have all been in vain...got out my elm 327 obd bluetooth module and torque pro app (like under $10) and graphed my 8 cylinders for misfire...well lo and behold had a misfire on cylinder 8..wasn't throwing any code. Changed coil and plug wire (sparkplug had been changed a few months prior, and i was going to try everything else before taking that SOB out again). anyway don't know if it was the coil or the wire, don't care...all i know is it's smooth as glass. May be something to check out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu