Torque Convertor Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mattbta

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a TSB about this recommending a software update and a fluid flush using a certain Mobil One formula that is supposed to reinforce clutch material. I've also read a couple threads where Amsoil was used with positive short term results but haven't gone back to see about long term... Be worth calling Amsoil and Mobile One and speaking with a tech... On one of my flush's dude at AutoZone put 4 jugs of Valvoline in truck bed(thanks to Corona) and 2 were Merc III. I didn't notice until after flush and drive for 50-60mi. Spoke to Valvoline engineer for 40min about fluid compatibility and TCC shudder- very helpful, didn't seem annoyed w/my 101 level questions, etc...

Does said TSB apply to the OP's NBS tranny?
My transmission calibration for my 2004 RWD was 12587979 and as of yesterday is now 12602140. According to TIS, that update is not associated with any bulletin. The comments state “New calibration to address customer complaint of second gear start”.

Do you happen to have the TSB number? Thanks.

Reaction score
My transmission calibration for my 2004 RWD was 12587979 and as of yesterday is now 12602140. According to TIS, that update is not associated with any bulletin. The comments state “New calibration to address customer complaint of second gear start”.

Didn't save but I'll search right now... stumbled across it in Canadian thread

Reaction score

30min in and haven't found a TSB re: 4l60's I apologize for not confirming the TSB was for your transmission before mentioning it. It came to mind while typing, I paused for a second, then kept typing. Was thinking along the lines of the solution suggested of a different formula fluid. That seems to be GM's "fix" for the 6spd/8spd and I thought it relevant enough to mention...

When searching "gm tsb tcc shudder 4l60" there are many links like these though

***If your prob is truly TCC this thread reads like these guys have found 2 solutions. Attn: POSTS #5, #6 and #12 IN THIS THREAD

XX Check that: 59min in and found this TSB (though it's not the one I was referencing)

--Thought this might help also

Again, I'm sorry if I got hopes up for a specific confirmed TSB solution......but I would think there are more than just the one linked above able to be found with TSBSearch.com though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattbta

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30min in and haven't found a TSB re: 4l60's I apologize for not confirming the TSB was for your transmission before mentioning it. It came to mind while typing, I paused for a second, then kept typing. Was thinking along the lines of the solution suggested of a different formula fluid. That seems to be GM's "fix" for the 6spd/8spd and I thought it relevant enough to mention...

When searching "gm tsb tcc shudder 4l60" there are many links like these though

***If your prob is truly TCC this thread reads like these guys have found 2 solutions. Attn: POSTS #5, #6 and #12 IN THIS THREAD

XX Check that: 59min in and found this TSB (though it's not the one I was referencing)

No worries. Appreciate the links. Thank you.

Reaction score
No worries. Appreciate the links. Thank you.
Leave you with this for now: Just read on HotRodder regarding the 30 issues w/4L60 link above

Issue Number 25: Torque converter shudder in 4th while lockup is engaged; problem goes away when the brake pedal is pressed slightly to unlock converter: Need to verify line pressure, and provided no valves in the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) hydraulic circuit are worn, replace the torque converter.

The next time it shudders in 4th (OD) tap the brakes enough to disengage the torque converter lock up, but not engage the brakes. IF the shudders stops this shows the TC is the cause. IF no change then the issue is going to be in the pressure regulation, which could be solenoid or in the Valve Body.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave you with this for now: Just read on HotRodder regarding the 30 issues w/4L60 link above

Issue Number 25: Torque converter shudder in 4th while lockup is engaged; problem goes away when the brake pedal is pressed slightly to unlock converter: Need to verify line pressure, and provided no valves in the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) hydraulic circuit are worn, replace the torque converter.

The next time it shudders in 4th (OD) tap the brakes enough to disengage the torque converter lock up, but not engage the brakes. IF the shudders stops this shows the TC is the cause. IF no change then the issue is going to be in the pressure regulation, which could be solenoid or in the Valve Body.
Would driving in tow mode also verify that also. I have been told before that when you feel shutter to watch tach for jumping RPM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11