Topped off my oil level with a quart of synthetic oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Catch can puts oil that would normally enter your intake through the PCV system, into a container that you can then drain and discard separately.

There are catch can systems that drain back into the crank case - basically instead of a drain port, it's a hose that returns to your sump. Based on the moisture I get from mine, I'd be weary of that. But that's personal suspicion, not based in any data. I've not looked into it.

Regarding high mileage... Depends on why you're burning oil. Some have seal swellers in there that can help if you're leaking from valve stem seals or something. But the caveat to that, is you basically need to stick with said oil. Changing off to something else would be apt to cause the seals to return to their original state. And I have a personal bet that it would put more wear and tear on intact seals.

If it's worn rings, nothing will help ya there. Thicker oil might slow it, but you'd have to weigh the risks of using a thicker oil here and risking lower flow / longer circulation time with how cold it gets where you are.

My two cents on the subject, which I practice on my own vehicle: It never sees high mileage / seal conditioners / any other nonsense. If a seal is leaking, the seal is worn and should be replaced. It's akin to getting a deep cut on your finger, and proceeding to cover it up with makeup instead of getting stitches.

I change my oil on the frequent side of things. 158k on the clock right now, using a catch can, no observable oil burning or leaks. No blue smoke. No wet spots under the car. No change on the dipstick that I can't attribute to parking at a slightly different angle

OP
OP
M

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would adding a catch can do anything for this situation? I’m guessing the oil is going out the tailpipe rather then on the ground. Oil for high mileage help?

I went ahead and opted for an oil change. High mileage Pennzoil 10w30 which is ok for the climate I live in. With a fresh oil change I usually get about 900 miles per quart.
No oil leaks. We replaced both valve cover gaskets a while back because they were leaking. Couldn't find anything else leaking.
I'm always surprised by how clean everything is under the car. The trans looks like it's fresh out of the crate.

OP
OP
M

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Catch can puts oil that would normally enter your intake through the PCV system, into a container that you can then drain and discard separately.

There are catch can systems that drain back into the crank case - basically instead of a drain port, it's a hose that returns to your sump. Based on the moisture I get from mine, I'd be weary of that. But that's personal suspicion, not based in any data. I've not looked into it.

Regarding high mileage... Depends on why you're burning oil. Some have seal swellers in there that can help if you're leaking from valve stem seals or something. But the caveat to that, is you basically need to stick with said oil. Changing off to something else would be apt to cause the seals to return to their original state. And I have a personal bet that it would put more wear and tear on intact seals.

If it's worn rings, nothing will help ya there. Thicker oil might slow it, but you'd have to weigh the risks of using a thicker oil here and risking lower flow / longer circulation time with how cold it gets where you are.

My two cents on the subject, which I practice on my own vehicle: It never sees high mileage / seal conditioners / any other nonsense. If a seal is leaking, the seal is worn and should be replaced. It's akin to getting a deep cut on your finger, and proceeding to cover it up with makeup instead of getting stitches.

I change my oil on the frequent side of things. 158k on the clock right now, using a catch can, no observable oil burning or leaks. No blue smoke. No wet spots under the car. No change on the dipstick that I can't attribute to parking at a slightly different angle

That's interesting. Especially the pvc thing. I'm pretty sure my problem is rings. I get no excessive smoke on start up. But it seems like it takes a long time for my exhaust to clear up on cold days that produce that steam I guess from condensate boiling off.