Topped off my oil level with a quart of synthetic oil.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run conventional oil.

02 tahoe it running a 5.3 just north of 215,000 miles. She's an oil burner. 7, to 800 miles per quart.

Should I forget it, or change the oil?

wifes_truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
don't mix conventional oil with synthetic. they need 2 different style filters. you could do damage.

wifes_truck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ya i stand corrected i just read that.... sorry my wrong steerage all these years

OP
OP
M

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Appreciate your well reasoned comments. I checked and discovered I'm nearly 11 months into this oil change so maybe it's time for an LOF
.. I usually get a few more miles down the road before I need to add a quart of oil right after an oil change. Closer to a thousand miles per quart as compared to the 700 per quart I'm getting now. And that's being generous.

We did a tranny service last month and boy what a difference. She shifts as good as new, now. Never had a more positive outcome on a trans service this late in the game. Remarkable, really.

Wylie_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I need a quick top-off and im out of the "normal" oil, ill pour in what I got. No worries about it.

So it uses a qrt every 700-800 miles? Do you do a lot of hiway miles? My around town consumption is MUCH less then when im doing 65-70 for extended periods. Like almost no consumption compared to 1/4 qrt after a 300 miles hiway trip.

OP
OP
M

My poor old tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I need a quick top-off and im out of the "normal" oil, ill pour in what I got. No worries about it.

So it uses a qrt every 700-800 miles? Do you do a lot of hiway miles? My around town consumption is MUCH less then when im doing 65-70 for extended periods. Like almost no consumption compared to 1/4 qrt after a 300 miles hiway trip.
You know, you could be right. I drive all in town miles with almost no highway miles. Last summer I drove 245 miles, all highway, with my cruise set at 85 mph. A friend was in need of a ride to a family members funeral. We left late and that's why we drove so fast. I burned a half a quart of oil on that one 245 mile stretch and got 15 and a half mpg.. On the way back driving 65 mph I burned no additional oil and got 18 mpg.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would adding a catch can do anything for this situation? I’m guessing the oil is going out the tailpipe rather then on the ground. Oil for high mileage help?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts