Tool box suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to add a new tool box to the old Christmas list this year. Any ideas on what I should get. I am a Craftsman guy so I went to Sears to look at the tool boxes and was really disappointed. They all seemed like el cheapo boxes with a craftsman emblem stuck on them. I have a cheap stack on brand box now and these new craftsman boxes were very similar. The were made of extremely thin metal and the drawers mechanisms didn't feel very sturdy at all. I think Craftsman has taken a huge step back in Quality. They even have cheapo tools now under the evolv name.

Lowes had a nice stainless steal Kobalt box that didn't look to bad. I don't really have any experience with the brand though.

What should I look into getting without breaking bankrupting Santa? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Craftsmans Tools have really fallen over the last few years (that I can remember). Maybe even farther back. They are not what they use to be.

With that said, how much are you looking to spend? How big are you looking for? I'd seriously look at HF. The one sumo posted is nice for the money

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent a fair deal of time looking at a lot of boxes a few months back and settled with the Harbor freight US General "Red" box.. it was the best made for the money paid $325 few months ago.. they go on sale all the time.. solid construction. strong ball bearing slides.. all double ball bearing glide slides.. that are very smooth.. and the large bottom drawers have double slides..

another plus is you can add side boxes on for a reasonable price.. this box is strong and built well.. the Current Craftsman boxes are build with thin gauge steel and simply cant hold the weight of tools..

the SnapOn, Matco Pro boxes are very pricy BUT you get what you pay for.. so for a moderate budget i would go with the US General from Harbor Freight.. i love mine and i plan to get another in a few months once this one is full..

I also have an early 90s craftsman box and comparing it to the ones sears sells now the current ones are cheap POS boxed dont waist your money on a craftsman box unless you step way up to the pro series and then your spending a chunk of change.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
410ff6d7-3218-c6cb.jpg

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
you can order them in black too. But thats a special order and usually the sales dont apply to them

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at spending around $500 for the lower box. I guess I need to check out the Harbor Freight box.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea man for $500 you could get the large bottom and a side cabinet, set drawers, large drawers. And have about a 6' wide base and add you a sheet of MDF on top for a work bench and have a decent set up

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yea man for $500 you could get the large bottom and a side cabinet, set drawers, large drawers. And have about a 6' wide base and add you a sheet of MDF on top for a work bench and have a decent set up

Make a lot more sense rather than paying full price for a bottom box in a different color.