Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man stuff.
Hey T Wassuppii!!
You allgoods?
I have had a few mates drop a cat out and beat the crap out of the inside to create more flow.
Is a bit of a mission isnt it?
I've read some where that you could drop the cat and replace with a straight pipe, do a sparkplug recess on the post 02 sensors and it wont upset the system as the post 02s will show a recession in emissions because of the shift in position. It might work better on older rigs like mine and I guess it all matters on if you are required to run cats.
Just thought I'd share that incase it is something you can use.
Guess you'll be doing the other cat soon?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey T Wassuppii!!
You allgoods?
I have had a few mates drop a cat out and beat the crap out of the inside to create more flow.
Is a bit of a mission isnt it?
I've read some where that you could drop the cat and replace with a straight pipe, do a sparkplug recess on the post 02 sensors and it wont upset the system as the post 02s will show a recession in emissions because of the shift in position. It might work better on older rigs like mine and I guess it all matters on if you are required to run cats.
Just thought I'd share that incase it is something you can use.
Guess you'll be doing the other cat soon?
YO TONY!!!! How's your side of the world doing? I just started a new job, and it's kicking my ass a little bit. I'm old lol!
I've driven it maybe 300 miles already since I gutted the one cat and the new trans. Everything is running great so far--except for that damn low idle--450 rpms, once it stays running. Still haven't figured that out yet. Phuck it! I don't have any O2 or cat codes, and no funky fumes.

Last edited:

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YO TONY!!!! How's your side of the world doing? I just started a new job, and it's kicking my ass a little bit. I'm old lol!
I've driven it maybe 300 miles already since I gutted the one cat and the new trans. Everything is running great so far--except for that damn low idle--450 rpms, once it stays running. Still haven't figured that out yet. Phuck it! I don't have any O2 or cat codes, and no funky fumes.
Hey Mate we're doing okay,think we're coming back down to level 1 on friday fingers crossed. Auckland is still in level 4 for maybe another 2 weeks! No new cases down here. Is phucking business owners up north tho.
Wow!! 300 miles is a good commute. My drive to work is 3 miles. What a workout for the Yukon!!
Glad your van is going well man. Yeah that is a low idle. Is it adjusted electronically or can you just adjust on the butterfly/throttle body? Maybe the new trans is torquing stronger and has pulled the idle down?
Time to go to work phuck it. 5.30am :favorites37:

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey Mate we're doing okay,think we're coming back down to level 1 on friday fingers crossed. Auckland is still in level 4 for maybe another 2 weeks! No new cases down here. Is phucking business owners up north tho.
Wow!! 300 miles is a good commute. My drive to work is 3 miles. What a workout for the Yukon!!
Glad your van is going well man. Yeah that is a low idle. Is it adjusted electronically or can you just adjust on the butterfly/throttle body? Maybe the new trans is torquing stronger and has pulled the idle down?
Time to go to work phuck it. 5.30am :favorites37:
Unfortunately idle isn't adjustable. It's had a low idle for around 2 yrs now. I had the intake gaskets done maybe 3 yrs ago.
I have to drive to different sites for the job--nothing close to home. That's why the big rush on swapping the trans out. Job pays mileage and tolls, but not gas. They pay .58 cents a mile, which is pretty good--so that would be 20 coconuts per km in Kiwi money ;) :p !

EDIT--They pay mileage from THEIR office location to the site, even tho I go to the site from home. So if it's 50 miles round trip from their office, but it's 100 miles round trip from my house to the site, I only get paid for 50 miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got this going on now.20211001_173803.jpgIt's been popping up randomly all summer, now appears to be on steadily. Brakes still stop fine, nothing is leaking, brake fluid doesn't look too dirty. I'm talking about the brake maintenance, not the abs light. I'm not getting any codes with a standard scan tool, I haven't put the Tech 2 on it yet. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the level indicator going bad?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this going on now.View attachment 351846It's been popping up randomly all summer, now appears to be on steadily. Brakes still stop fine, nothing is leaking, brake fluid doesn't look too dirty. I'm talking about the brake maintenance, not the abs light. I'm not getting any codes with a standard scan tool, I haven't put the Tech 2 on it yet. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the level indicator going bad?
Did you hook up your Tech2 and see what the issue is? It should tell you.