Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
you you ever look into whether or not this new engine had the same injectors? if they are different you could be running lean and its KR you feel pulling timing making it feel slow or weak.

knock sensors dont work till the engine is warmed up, so in theory if it feels stronger when it cold still shes got knock for some reason.
Today was the 1st day that I really floored it. I'm assuming the injectors on it are the same what was on there before.
I was maybe 2-3 miles from home when I noticed the weird exhaust sound. Then when I floored it, that killed the testing I was doing. While idling it sounds good, and driving slow it sounds fine. I'm friggin lost.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Didn't you get the right belt to match the upgraded alternator? The belt tensioner can take up only so much slack, but if the belt was too small, the tensioner would be too tight.
I had to go 1 or 2 larger in size. The old belt was too small. I guess I should ask for a belt for a 160 amp alt?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had to go 1 or 2 larger in size. The old belt was too small. I guess I should ask for a belt for a 160 amp alt?

Like a belt for the 6.0 on a 2006 Esky?

upload_2020-11-25_0-30-52.png

upload_2020-11-25_0-31-39.png

RA has a few more listed for the 6.0 with that alternator.....

You could look up the specs on one of these for the size.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Called Brian Tooley tech line and asked about compatibility of this cam with the higher compression of the LQ9. He said everything will play nice together. I have a low octane tune so I asked about KR, timing while using 89 or 91 octane. He said since I have a low octane tune I'd be wasting money putting anything over 87 in it. I'd gain 0 benefit.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my theories:

1) Its very possible its experiencing belt slip at the higher rpm causing the fuel pump to get low voltage and not pump enough. Fix belt problem see what happens.

2) Don't think it's due to injectors because if they were different the injector scaling would be way off and likely not idle right or have other issues other than just WOT. (Just a theory)

3) Check simple stuff like plugs and wires, just because they are new doesn't mean they are installed correct or even good.

4) Weird exhaust sound kinda makes me think timing is off but the other symptoms don't match that so I go back to improper fuel and/or spark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64

Latest posts