Toll Transponder location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam123

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any of you put your toll transponder/sun pass up here next to the camera assembly? Some online articles say not to put it on the solar strip but I’m not sure how that impacts it’s functionality. I wanted to see if it had worked for you all or where else you have placed it to keep it discrete.

5B28993F-2F06-4CFB-8DBB-B2555FA5C044.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t like anything up in my windshield. I don’t know why but it annoys me, like seriously annoys the heck out of me. I leave my California toll roads transponder in my center console. I used to just leave it in the corner of my dash when I went through and then put it away, because they said I’d a get a ticket if it wasn’t visible. Last summer, I tested it, and never got a ticket when I left the transponder in my console. Still haven’t gotten one and the transponder registers every time. Lol. So it just stays in my console. Now they’ve switched to a small low key shaped sticker on a piece of 3M paper of some kind. Haven’t used it yet since I haven’t been down off the mountain, but we will see if the sticker registers next time I go through it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Our regular E-470 transponders are just small stickers that get stuck in the lower lefthand (driver's side) corner of the windshield. They're probably 1" x 3" but the transponder itself is smaller than a dime, hardly noticeable once installed. Originally they were large ones that were maybe 4" x 4" but they don't issue those any longer. They also have box transponders -- not as large as the original ones -- if we need to use the HOV lanes but most don't have those.

I had my windshield replaced last week and they zipped off the transponder with a razor blade, which destroys it. The replacements are free and can be ordered online, and mine came in the mail today.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our regular E-470 transponders are just small stickers that get stuck in the lower lefthand (driver's side) corner of the windshield. They're probably 1" x 3" but the transponder itself is smaller than a dime, hardly noticeable once installed. Originally they were large ones that were maybe 4" x 4" but they don't issue those any longer. They also have box transponders -- not as large as the original ones -- if we need to use the HOV lanes but most don't have those.

I had my windshield replaced last week and they zipped off the transponder with a razor blade, which destroys it. The replacements are free and can be ordered online, and mine came in the mail today.
Interesting! We just got the new “sticker style” ones this summer. But then again California is behind the times with a lot of things hahaha

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is just at the shaded solar strip transition and next to the mirror wire channel. Had it in my console for months, though, and it still worked. I don't remember my instructions saying anything about placing it away from the solar strip. I've been to Miami (toll roads everywhere) with no problems or ticket issued, so I guess its working fine where its at. My windshield got broken the other day so not sure if I can save the transponder "sticker" when they replace it. Guess I'll have to check those instructions before re-installing.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the E470 sticker as well. I hate anything on my windshield, so I stuck mine to the underside of the plastic dash cover in front of the instrument cluster. Works fine and I don't have to look at it. As a bonus, windshield replacement doesn't require getting a new one.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the E470 sticker as well. I hate anything on my windshield, so I stuck mine to the underside of the plastic dash cover in front of the instrument cluster. Works fine and I don't have to look at it. As a bonus, windshield replacement doesn't require getting a new one.
Good suggestion. I'll have to remember that when I replace my windshield

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu