To level or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy to understand:

Your lower control arm is attached on one end to the frame (fixed, but allows movement), and the steering knuckle/hub is attached at the other end of the lower control arm.

The spacer is placed below where the strut assembly mounts to the lower control arm.

If the strut was mounted at the steering knuckle, a 1" spacer would move the lower control arm down 1", as it's at the end of the "lever"; this is a 1:1 ratio.

If the strut is mounted halfway between the frame and knuckle/hub, then the 1" spacer will move the end of the lever down 2"; a 2:1 ratio.

Here's a picture of a random lower control arm, for instructional purposes. See the two mounting holes roughly in the middle? That's where the strut attaches to, so if you add length to the strut, it will push down on the lower control arm, giving you a lift.

View attachment 346787
Informative!! Thank you very much.

bkenn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i just went with bilstein level and new shocks all around, cant wait to install tuesday

CamaroKid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what sipes are and both tires have lots of them. Never heard of those, oh, they're Finnish tires!

They may indeed be better in the snow, don't know, could not find a direct comparison. My point was, the KO2s can be driven year round without needing a winter set, even in Saskatchewan or Alaskan winters. To each his own.

Haha, you've never seen a direct comparison because where I come from (Norway) AT tires like the KO2 are considered a summer tire and rubbish in the winter ;)
I've tried General Grabber AT2 and BFG as winter tires because I couldn't get real winter tires in 33" or 35", but they all suck on hard packed snow and ice.
They're down right dangerous trying do climb a hill or in emergency braking.

Might be an OK snow tire offroad if you never experience ice, but on road ice you need soft tires with a lot of sipes.
Some use them as winter tires, but then with extra siping and spikes fitted.

Finland is one of the greatest winter-countries, and finnish Nokian make some of the best winter tires.
My 08 Tahoe is now running the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 with 190 spikes in each tire. Awesome winter tires.

Continental, Nokian, Michelin and a lot of other brands make real winter tires.

We're laughing our ***** off over here watching highway carnage videos from the US.
Never happends here (even in small scale), because all-season tires are banned for winter use.

Just my 2 cents..

Attachments

• ScreenShot188.jpg
    ScreenShot188.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201129_154928.jpg
    20201129_154928.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 6

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about Norway. I'd love to go there soon. I've seen those outdoor cabins that are all Glass. Looks like a Photographer's paradise.
Look for me... i'll be there with the enthused look on my Face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts