To Heat Or Not To Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don in Mesa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If this helps this takes literally zero mechanic skill. Start your truck. Let it warm up to temp. Like 15 minutes. Turn on your heat. Then pop the hood and feel these hoses (circled in blue) they should both be hot. (CAUTION. They might be HOT). If they are both hot then you can rule out the heater core. If one side is hot and one side is luke warm or cold then you probably need to flush the heater core. If both sides are cool. Then you’re low on antifreeze or heater core is really blocked up

My Tahoe had a blocked heater core when I bought it. Fixed it by flushing with a garden hose.

View attachment 267049
As far as the air box. If something is missing then I’m gonna assume someone else was in there trying to fix it and somehow damaged the box... but I’d honestly get a 2nd opinion. Something has to be holding the current part in there now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent Idea! Will check this out and get back to the forum!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this and found the hoses luke warm at best. Opted to have ENTIRE cooling system Flushed and all hoses inspected.

AFTER the flush -- heater is working properly!
Sweet! I have a 2005 Suburban 2500; it has three, blend doors. One on the driver's side, one on the passenger side, and one behind the central console. When I had a problem, guess which one it was... Yup, the one that required a disassembly of the dash to reach. :-(

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did this and found the hoses luke warm at best. Opted to have ENTIRE cooling system Flushed and all hoses inspected.

AFTER the flush -- heater is working properly!
So glad to hear this problem had a fairly simple solution. But...You need a different mechanic, and please spend enough time here reading and learning so you understand enough about your truck that you’re not at the complete mercy of any mechanic. You don’t need to be able to do the work, but you do need to know how to diagnose problems and have an understanding of how things work so you don’t get taken advantage of by any mechanic you decide to hire.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear this problem had a fairly simple solution. But...You need a different mechanic, and please spend enough time here reading and learning so you understand enough about your truck that you’re not at the complete mercy of any mechanic. You don’t need to be able to do the work, but you do need to know how to diagnose problems and have an understanding of how things work so you don’t get taken advantage of by any mechanic you decide to hire.

I'll second this. I am blessed to be able to hire a mechanic for most of my work; but I was taught since I was able to turn a wrench about cars and motorcycles. In many cases I can diagnose what is wrong with my cars better than the mechanics I have tried to use can.

On the flip side, I found an honest mechanic. I had someone trying to take advantage of me, so I took it this guy's shop for a second opinion. The first guy wanted to replace my oil pan. The second guy charged me $5 and replaced the drain plug with the correct one. I've taken 90% of my business to him since.

If anyone needs a mechanic in the DFW metroplex (Arlington/South Dallas area), I can recommend one. :)

To sum this up: Just like anything else you are willing to spend money on, do your research. You don't have to be a shade tree mechanic -- just know enough to keep dishonest people from robbing you blind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec