Coyote's Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
theycallmecoyote
Reaction score
No, I don't even have the vehicle yet, this is strictly hypothetical on my end, trying to gain some knowledge from those with firsthand experience before I start buying parts and such.

Also, either I'm a dumbass or I just don't read well, but since Diablo transmission tuning looks like it only applies to the 6 speed and I have an 8 speed, that may have just knocked them out of the running.

Might have another convert comin' for ya Black Bear!

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what I'm really asking is, will a canned tune be enough to deal with a probable lean situation due to adding cold air intake?

I'm pretty sure that the ECM of any modern vehicle will be able to compensate for any incremental added air volume an aftermarket "cold air intake" would provide, as long as it's within the mechanical capabilities of the injectors (which I'm positive it would be - it's a CAI not a turbo). With or without a tune.

Has someone told you that a CAI will cause a lean condition? Is that a common problem with these trucks? I'll be the first to admit that I don't know as much about these things as I do about other makes and models. But I can say that from what I DO know, your ECM should be able to adjust fuel delivery to compensate for whatever added air a CAI provides, if any.

If you're referring to a performance intake MANIFOLD (and not a cold air intake) leaning things out too much, I still think it would be well within the parameters of the stock ECM to adjust for it and if not, any tuner (canned or not) should help.

OP
OP
theycallmecoyote
Reaction score
The information I garnered from the Black Bear intake comparo indicated that with certain intakes the mixture gets *very* lean to a point that tuning would be more than just ideal but pretty much required. Thus Thus my question, as I too found it hard to believe that the ECM wouldn't be able to adjust for that.

I think my plan of action at this point is I'm just gonna drop an AFE in there and see where that gets me. If that gets the driving experience where I want it that may just be the end of it. If it still feels sluggish, hesitant, tranny too soft, whatever, I'll get Black Bear on the phone.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AFE would be my choice based on the results sheet indicating best TQ numbers and minimal tuning req.

in my opinion, the best appearing also.

OP
OP
theycallmecoyote
Reaction score
Absolutely agree Shawn. Plus I saw Tony (Norcal SS) posted some very compelling dyno numbers across the board after putting the AFE on his otherwise stock rig. I also like that it's a lidded box, rather than a lot of the other open top designs.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The information I garnered from the Black Bear intake comparo indicated that with certain intakes the mixture gets *very* lean to a point that tuning would be more than just ideal but pretty much required. Thus Thus my question, as I too found it hard to believe that the ECM wouldn't be able to adjust for that.

I think my plan of action at this point is I'm just gonna drop an AFE in there and see where that gets me. If that gets the driving experience where I want it that may just be the end of it. If it still feels sluggish, hesitant, tranny too soft, whatever, I'll get Black Bear on the phone.

The throttle lag and spongy trans tune is enough for me to decide to do a tune as a first mod.

OP
OP
theycallmecoyote
Reaction score
The throttle lag and spongy trans tune is enough for me to decide to do a tune as a first mod.

That certainly seems logical but IF I end up tuning it, I only wanna do it once. And I definitely know that I want to do intake (if only for the little extra noise, since I probably won't do a lot to the exhaust).

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That certainly seems logical but IF I end up tuning it, I only wanna do it once. And I definitely know that I want to do intake (if only for the little extra noise, since I probably won't do a lot to the exhaust).

The AFE is more than a little noise. Its a wonderful sound and is significantly throatier and louder than the stock setup. They do provide a decent amount of HP for a CAI and are super easy to install. But a tune be it canned or a custom would net a bit more from the CAI and of course the tunes changes itself. Even with a peppier power plant from the CAI or the canned the trans will still be lazy but it may be enough for you as everyone is different.

But if after the CAI install you still think you need a bit more I would try to go blackbear just for the TCM changes. The difference they can make in how the trans feels is night and day. The lazy downshifts when exiting a turn or corner, the sluggish up shifts at times when just lightly cruising or even the gear searching at odd times where it seems to not know what it wants to do all that they can quickly fix. The factory trans tunes have a lot of overlap and they clean all that up.

Money aside dealing with the data logs and such can be a hassle for some but if you can get up a way to do the downloads and uploads needed and find the time its far worth it. The re tunes are nice as well to have even if you think you will only ever tune once. You may later on down the road get a urge to make some other changes and they can make changes to go along with that to take full advantage.

Captain Insaino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my humble 2 cents.

A CAI is just for sound (sounds badass). Power gains are negligible, if anything. Your truck will compensate for any increased airflow. After all, GM offers one without a tune.

A tune's power gains will also be negligible up top, unless you are exclusivly running E85. Under the curve, it may feel more powerful. Perhaps a little better MPG.

The beauty of a tune is in the throttle response, the option of manipulating AFM and most noticably the transmission tuning, which I consider the biggest bang for the buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518