Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing not mentioned is the condition of the roads people drive on. A concrete road will wear out a tire much faster than a smooth asphalt road. Also, the older a tire gets, the harder it gets which is why older tires are prone to dry rot.
Everybody has their own opinion on the best tire and nobody is wrong. If you find a tire that fits your needs than stay with it no matter who the manufacturer is. Things I never go cheap on are
Tires
Brakes
Wiper Blades
All fluids
Batteries

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I just don't get it. I believe every one of you guys with what you are saying you are getting for wear out of your tires, but something doesn't make sense that there would be such a wide disparity in this area. As an engineer, this is driving me nuts as I believe there has to be something we are missing that is causing these differing outcomes. My personal experience is that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L's give me 85K+ of wear. I also read here where folks are getting similar wear out of their Michelin Defenders. That is why I am just baffled when I also read that folks are only getting 20K to 30K of wear out of what is supposedly the same tire. So I did some looking. Tire Rack has a few different options for tires shown for my 2013 Denali XL with the H/L Alenza name with different Load, Speed, Treadwear, Traction and Treadwear ratings. I wonder if this is contributing to the different experiences of folks because folks all have Alenza's but different performance ratings.

Dueler H/L Alenza Plus - 111H - UTQG: 800 A A - ECO-Product (whatever that means)
Dueler H/L Alenza - 111H - UTQG: 600 A B
Dueler H/L Alenza - 111S - UTQG: 700 B B (what I have been buying and is listed as OEM)
Dueler H/L Alenza - 113T - UTQG: 600 A A

Here is the link to what I ordered the last two times and what was on my 2013 when we bought it in July of 2019.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H/L+Alenza&partnum=755SR0HLALNZ

For Michelin this is what I found for the LTX line of tires shown on Tire Rack for my 2013 Denali XL
LTX A/T 2 - 113T - UTQG: 500 A B
Defender LTX M/S - 113T - UTQG: 800 A A
LTX M/S2 - 113H - UTQG: 720 A A - Green X (whatever that means)

I know that I may push the life a little so instead of 85K, maybe I should say I get 75K+ of good thread life and then another 10K of life because I might push it a little.
My wife also does most of the driving and her commute is mainly highway so that may contribute to out experiences. She is also not an aggressive driver, usually.
I rotate the tires every other oil change (7000-8000 miles) and maintain the tire pressure regularly. Not saying others don't, just explaining what is happening on our vehicle.

Like I said, there has to be something that can explain the different experiences folks are having.
Wade - I do need to confess something... Once, maybe twice (OK, OK maybe 3 times) a friend challenged me to lay down some of the Bridgestone Alenza rubber in front of his house (I don't think his Ford F-250 Diesel is good at it). Once I smoked it up so bad that the people in the back yard had to go inside for air. I'll guess that was about 20,000 miles or rubber or so...

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Alenza is just a horrible tire. I think I got 25k miles out of mine and they were totally shot. Plus, the wet traction is pathetic at best.
I especially agree with your wet traction comment. I'm facing a Minnesota winter so expect a long stretch of pavement that is either wet, snow covered, ice covered or all of these at once.

surypap3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also a Michelin owner on a 2019 Tahoe. Currently at 22k miles. My guess is they will need replacement around 30k miles.

JEndsley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Dueller is what my truck came with and the wet traction was horrible. I would be interested to hear what Michelin people love. Mine are Premier LT X.

My '18 Ram 1500 came with the
Bridgestone dueler H/L. Excellent tire all around. Just shy of 70K miles on them now and about due to replace.
Just put Continental Terrain Contact H/T on my wife's Yukon XL a couple of months ago. Much better than the AT tires previous owner had on it. Quiet, great traction, great all around reviews, and probably the longest treadware rating I found on tire rack for my size tires. And helps that I get a discount on Conti and General tires. But tires are like so many other things. Ask 100 people for opinions and get 150 in response. Good luck finding what works best for you

ThomasD22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just threw on some Continental TerrainContact A/Ts on my 2016 LT. Extremely satisfied with everything about this tire, but the smooth ride and lack of any sort of noise stands out the most to me.
more info about the setup, if anyone is curious. I also went with the 275/60r20 instead of the stock 275/55r20. Zero rubbing on stock suspension.upload_2021-1-13_13-48-6.jpegupload_2021-1-13_13-48-6.jpegupload_2021-1-13_13-48-6.jpeg

John Day

Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan