Tires that don’t suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60K easy, most in the 70s and 80s, some break 100K according to the reviewers on TireRack with our GM Wagons.
Ok. Thanks. Looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season plus II as well. Reviews seem ok. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Looking at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season plus II as well. Reviews seem ok. Any thoughts?

No direct experience with the Pirelli. When I used to sell tires, Perellis were one of, if not tops, as far as performance tires went. They were not known then for their longevity but they kept the supercars planted during high speed maneuvers.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No direct experience with the Pirelli. When I used to sell tires, Perellis were one of, if not tops, as far as performance tires went. They were not known then for their longevity but they kept the supercars planted during high speed maneuvers.
Great thanks. Just not liking their tread pattern though. I also read that the OEM tire composition is different from say buying them later on from a tire shop even though it’s the same model tire. I read many reviews where people say their OEM tires don’t last but the same model purchased say through tire rack gets almost double wear. Any truth to that?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thanks. Just not liking their tread pattern though. I also read that the OEM tire composition is different from say buying them later on from a tire shop even though it’s the same model tire. I read many reviews where people say their OEM tires don’t last but the same model purchased say through tire rack gets almost double wear. Any truth to that?

Generally speaking, yes. The cop tires that come on the PPVs have a different part number than the ones usually advertised as being for them for example. They do not perform the same. Have also seen guys break 80K to 100K miles on the OE Bridgestones and then some get half that on the next go round and others report the same as the originals.

The KO2s all now have a warranty but there is/was also a set without the snow/ice rating that had an even better warranty as it was a harder compound tire though the tread is the same.

It's hard to beat the Michelins, they've had nearly the same tread design for 25 years now and still are tops for a touring/highway tire that can go 80K miles.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only got 35K miles out of a set of Defenders (22s). That ticked me off enough to give something else a try. Not a fan of the factory Bridgestone Alenza (haven't tried their 80K Alenza Plus). I have 3-4K on the Nokian One HT. They don't ride better than the Defender, but I wouldn't say worse either. Handling is just as good, but slightly more road noise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this tire in the snow. We got 10" this week in MN where I am, but I didn't get a chance to test it.

View attachment 260904
Hey neighbor!

R Black

Reaction score
Many here love the Micheline Defender in this size. I have cooper AT3 4S on mine but they are extra load so they ride a bit harsher than the Bridgestone tires they replaced.

What's the max pressure on the sidewall of your Coops? I bought new tires at 2200 miles (shredded the fake tires that came on the car) but the max press. is only 44, I'm thinking they can't be '8ply' rated LT tires, and that's what I'm looking for.

Non of the factory recommendations show an LT tire. Disconcerting.

R Black

Reaction score

On bigger rims though.

See, I'm thinkin' basically unless tires are labeled "LT" they won't be 8 ply equivs.
6ply equiv LT tires are the MINIMUM anyone will run out west on even gravel roads. The ranchers out there usually run 8ply equivalents. I could be wrong but basically 4 ply equivalents are pass. veh tires at a max of about 50psi, 6 ply equiv. LT tires might be max press. 60psi and 8 ply equivalent LT tires will be around 80psi.

BFG A/T tires are usually 6ply equivalent (3 plys that count as 6)

On my 1996 Tahoe, my old Coopers, two sets, forgot the model name both All Terrain tires had a make press. of 80psi.
You could run all day at 85mph and be assured you could also drive on railroad ballast for hours and never get a flat.

I find it confounding that no Light Truck rated tire is spec'd out for these nearly 5k lb SUVs.

Disturbing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972