Tires rubbing after lift and spacer install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VikeFan93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's odd. I'm running 275/70/18's, which according to the specs are 34" diameter, with a 2" RC lift and I only rub on my mudflaps at 1 specific spot. Had to trim the crap out of the flaps but got the rubbing down to a minimum. Really glad I can avoid the NorCal Mod cuz that would severely shorten the body life here in the land of salt and snow!

Attachments

• IMG20230518154302.jpg
    IMG20230518154302.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG20230518184032 (2).jpg
    IMG20230518184032 (2).jpg
    308 KB · Views: 17

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Norcal mod.

On the 15 Yukon, have a few different sets of wheels and they ALL rub a little, more-so when backing up:

Summer - 33x12.5x20(32.8" diameter)
Winter - 295x55x20(33" dia.)
Long-distance hauling - 295x60x20 which are 34.2" diameter and the tallest yet.

MaxxSuspension 2.50" up front with RC UCA's, 1.5" MaxxSus stack in the rear with 1.5" shock extension. The 295x60x20 don't seem to rub the upper control arms like the 33x12.5 did at full lock but definitely rubbing the fender well in reverse while turning slightly or forward at steep angles.

This is the only truck I haven't trimmed for rub but depending on where YOU'RE rubbing, may not need to do a whole lot; ie a heat gun could be enough to re-shape your mud guards out of the way a bit. Try and get some chalk or marker on the areas you're rubbing and upload them on here. Definitely try a heat-gun in those areas first before you start cutting into the steel.

cmhorns

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Upgraded from a 2” front block to a 3.5” RC lift with 2” spacers and new rear shocks. Rides like a dream and looks less like a mom car which I love. But the front is rubbing pretty bad on the inside at a turn. It rubbed before at a full turn with my 33s but this is a lot worse. Looks like an easy fix but just want a little guidance on what others have done.
Just installed our second set of Toyo OC at3 295/55/20's (which is 32.8" x 11.6"), the first set we put 76,000 miles on them and there was still tread on them when I changed them out! (family vehicle so I wasn't going to push my luck) i only have the front leveled by having the Rancho shocks with the bracket on them. What I did was took off the little corner piece and beat the metal back with rubber and leather mallets, making sure I kept the holes lined up by using a little steel rod. reinstalled the little corner piece. Then I trimmed off the sharp plastic corner sticking out with a dremel and voila! I was done in just a few minutes and I've never looked back. That was 3 years ago. I don't have rubbing issues, unless under the exact instance of reversing at full lock on uneven ground, it can rub a little on the inside fender well felt cover. I was going to go back and fix it later, but it don't bother me and it isn't hurting anything at all, so I left it. They're TECHNICALLY not 33x11.5 but they're 32.8x11.6, they handle awesome in all weather conditions and are as though as nails since they're 10-ply. They're installed on XD grenade 820 20x9 wheels with 0 offset. They poke out maybe an inch. These measurements work well with very little work! I also recommend going to tiresize.com and wheel-size.com for very good information that will answer all your questions and take the guesswork out of your choice! Good Luck! Happy Trails!