Tire Warranty Procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idstumped

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting.

I recently purchase a used 2016 Yukon xl denali with 7500 miles on it. Had a slight vibration so I had the tires road force balanced at a independent shop. They determine one of the front tires was out of spec (34lbs) and needs to be replaced.

Called GM dealer for appointment to get tire replace under warranty and they informed me that it could take up to 6 weeks to get an answer if the tire will be replaced under the new car warranty. Reason for the lenght of time- they have to send the tire back to the manufacturer to get confirmation that defect of the tire is really a manufacturing defect.

Is this the usual procedure? I find it ridiculous that my car will be out of order for 6 weeks waiting for a tire warranty replacement.

Thanks

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not normal. I would look at the owners manual for the tire warranty, contact GM customer service and find a new Dealer. Good luck.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^X2

Try another dealer, they should just replace it.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact the tire manufacturer and see if they can recommend a location to indirect/replace it and get paid via the tire company

OP
OP
I

idstumped

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Talked to two dealers and they both gave me the run around and were very discouraging.
Took some of your advice and called tire manufacturer and they told me the place I got it road forced balance can do the warranty service. Going there tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.

toi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to two dealers and they both gave me the run around and were very discouraging.
Took some of your advice and called tire manufacturer and they told me the place I got it road forced balance can do the warranty service. Going there tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.
good info,thanks for shaaring.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good tire dealer can warranty your tire and send you on your way with a new one while they deal with the paperwork. I did that stuff all the time and made many loyal customers.

OP
OP
I

idstumped

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Talk about a load of sh***t!! Recent developments.

Talked with Continental Tire and they informed me that the manufacturing warranty on my tires is not transferable and since I bought the car second hand (only 7500 miles) I have no manufacturing warranty on the tires BUT they will cover 75% of the cost of the tire as a good will gesture. Thought that was rather decent.

So I thought my GM new car warranty would cover the tire since it is actually called "Base Warranty Coverage(includes tires)" and is 100% transferable, well like everything else, not so simple.

Talked to the dealer and to my "GMC ambassador" and both informed me that the tire is warranted by the manufacturer and pointed me to my warranty booklet that states:

<<<The tire manufacturer's limited warranty program, which can be obtained by calling or visiting the tire manufacturer's website or any authorized dealer, is in lieu of all other remedies or warranties,>>>

Basically means that the manufacturer's warranty is what is covering the tires and since it is not transferable my tires are not warrantied

Seems the GM warranty is 100% transferable, as I was told at the dealership when I purchased the Yukon, but once something goes wrong......

Really not impressed with GM

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about a load of sh***t!! Recent developments.

Talked with Continental Tire and they informed me that the manufacturing warranty on my tires is not transferable and since I bought the car second hand (only 7500 miles) I have no manufacturing warranty on the tires BUT they will cover 75% of the cost of the tire as a good will gesture. Thought that was rather decent.

So I thought my GM new car warranty would cover the tire since it is actually called "Base Warranty Coverage(includes tires)" and is 100% transferable, well like everything else, not so simple.

Talked to the dealer and to my "GMC ambassador" and both informed me that the tire is warranted by the manufacturer and pointed me to my warranty booklet that states:

<<<The tire manufacturer's limited warranty program, which can be obtained by calling or visiting the tire manufacturer's website or any authorized dealer, is in lieu of all other remedies or warranties,>>>

Basically means that the manufacturer's warranty is what is covering the tires and since it is not transferable my tires are not warrantied

Seems the GM warranty is 100% transferable, as I was told at the dealership when I purchased the Yukon, but once something goes wrong......

Really not impressed with GM
BBB. Then they will listen

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you go that route, don't just complain to the BBB, have a definite "ask", what you'd like to have done. Since Continental seems to be working with you, you may not want to make a BBB complaint, except perhaps against GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs