Tire size with a (axle capacity) twist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never thought I’d make it to a point in my life where I’d need instruction on how to use technology. Haha! Oh the joys of getting older.

True story! That will only get worse as the upcoming years go by. :)

Isn't that part of the reason that we have kids, so that they can take care of those things for us, when we are no longer able to keep up? :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 17” steelies on it right now with 265/70/17. I do not know for sure what the brakes are, I haven’t measured and I haven’t got the RPO list yet. They are certainly more than adequate. Best braking of anything in my current collection.

They don't have larger brakes from the factory, just a different spec for pads and rotors.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Thanks George. WJBurken beat you to it a few comments back. ;)

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I did some searching and haven't seen this addressed... I'll be lifting and upgrading tires. But to what is the question. Lift questions will come later, as I figure tire size -> lift size. No matter what lift I go with, the CV angles will run straight at rest, just like factory. I will not run any overextended CV for my intended use.

My use will be for a daily driver when we travel cross country in the summers, as well as a lot of trail riding, which can run the gamut from decent dirt forest roads to some of the middle rated trails in places like Moab and the Colorado mountains. Lots of washboard and potholes. If the Corona gets over with and we go to AK the frost heaves will bottom your suspension on paved roads.

So I want all the tire I can safely run, with reliability being job #1. I don't want to be replacing bushings or ball joints every year, and I don't want to snap a CV or blow the front diff, which my reading tells me is the weakest link. I won't be aggressively climbing rock ledges or intentional abuse, but there's time in the outback where stuff happens and trail conditions are not what you expected.

The contenders:
35"- I see a lot of GM half tons running these. Of course most of what I see is on pavement. I don't meet these trucks out on the trails very often. Is this tire size a recipe for snap-crackle-pop under adverse terrain and loads?

34"- most likely in 285/75/17. Not so many tire choices, but they're out there.

33"- 285/70/17. Seems to be a lot of IFS trucks running these with minimal leveling. I see this as the best choice for drivetrain durability.

So what do you say; what's your experience? Or am I in the wrong room and should I take this over to Pirate4x4? :driver:

For what you are looking at doing off road I did several trails around Moab Chicken corners is a nice one to check out also some of the moderate Poison Spider trails. And the book cliffs are fun to explore too. Since you have .373 gearing I would run 34's on 17 inch rims you might get away with 35's with that gearing.. I am running 411 on mine.

For a comfortable highway and dirt road and even some rough stuff I would highly recommend King shocks

Baja Kits chase kit with Kings front and rear. New springs in the rear. I would look at keeping the lift around 2-3 inches and cut the body work as needed to clear the front tires. Also trim off the front bumper. This should make dirt roads smooth right out. The Kings are pricey but, if they get worn out you can rebuild them.

I have a unmaintained road I like to get airborne on at 70 + mph and it is a blast... Hey I may be a senior citizen but, I do like to have fun... lol

Good luck with your build I look forward to seeing how it all works out for you.