Which Tire??

• Michelin Defender

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Nitto Terra Grappler

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Nitto Dura Grappler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDubb1031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon XL Denali with about 30k miles on it. Factory Bridgestone Duelers are looking pretty bad so I’m looking for my next set of tires. Running the 22” factory wheels (P285/45R22). I’m in Colorado and this is our family vehicle. Most of the time it’s running three kids to and from school, store, sports, etc. However, it’s also the family vehicle that will take us to the mountains for skiing, biking, hiking, etc.

I’m looking for Tire Recommendations. Right now I’m interested in the Michelin Defenders or Premier vs the Nitto Terra or Dura Grapplers.. anyone compared these two on this vehicle? I have lifted Jeep JKU I run the Nitto Trail Grapplers and love them, but this one primarily stays on the road, although that does include snow and mountain driving. Thoughts on these tires???

OP
OP
R

RDubb1031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Both good choices. Have you looked at the BFG KO2s?
Yeah, don't need that aggressive. The terra and Durango add a bit more tread without going full offroad tire. I'm trying to gain perspective on those for ride quality on road

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had two sets of Michelin’s on my 2006 and I currently am running a set of dura grapplers in a 275/55R20. Scored a pretty damn good deal on Craigslist on the nittos so I couldn’t pass them up. I like them a lot. They ride pretty quiet for the type of tire and they perform very well. Not had them in deep snow yet, but in the light snow and rain we had last year they gripped great. I like the Michelin’s better as they ride quality is absolutely amazing and the grip is just as good. I’ll go back to Michelin defenders when these dura grapplers are done but I’ve got a while til then to save up for the pricey defenders.

tunedbytuna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would go with the Michelin’s, living in Maine, I run the Defender LTX/MS & MS2’s on my wife’s Tahoe and Son’s truck. They are great all around, quiet on pavement, and have great grip in the snow. I run their old tires on my truck during the summer, they last 70K miles, can’t go wrong. I also have newer set of BF Goodrich Commercial T/A’s I use all winter for plowing. Both are made by Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyFresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't speak for the Nitto as I've never had a set. That being said, I just put a set of the Defenders on my 09 Tahoe. I'm on the second set of them on my company work truck. I drive all over the south-east and they've served me well. We even have a set on my wife's Toyota. They're quiet, they grip very well wet or dry, and last 70k+ miles with proper care and inflation. Consumer Reports and the feedback ratings listed on TireRack.com love them as well.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got out of some very worn stock 285/45/22 Bridgestone Dueler Alenza’s and installed some 285/45/22 Michelin Defenders and am thoroughly surprised as how much more smooth the ride is. I also lowered my Yukon XL Denali 2”/3” and still rides fantastic.

OP
OP
R

RDubb1031

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.. scheduled to get the Defenders on tomorrow.. I'll post back once I have an opinion of them.

OneDark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My only question is when you go with the defenders how do they look on an aftermarket wheel?

I have an older staggered set of Nitto 420’s that are 305 in the rear and 285’s up front on dubs 22” shot callas.

I would like to go to 285/45/22 all the way around so I can properly rotate.

Thoughts? If you have defenders on aftermarket rims please post.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission