Tire Recomendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJSaunders

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe 4x4. custom 20in wheels that currently have winter tires on since I bought the truck in Michigan. Just moved down to south florida and need to pick out new tires soon. I don't currently have any plans to lift or lower the truck, if I did it would probably be to lower it(mainly cause its a daily driver and I have young children and a short wife). Ive always had GMC Sierras prior to this so new to the Tahoe world. What brand and size of tires should I get?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Tahoe 4x4. custom 20in wheels that currently have winter tires on since I bought the truck in Michigan. Just moved down to south florida and need to pick out new tires soon. I don't currently have any plans to lift or lower the truck, if I did it would probably be to lower it(mainly cause its a daily driver and I have young children and a short wife). Ive always had GMC Sierras prior to this so new to the Tahoe world. What brand and size of tires should I get?

Welcome to the forum Jeff! I just saw someone selling new GMC N88s wheels with tires on CL for $800. Those wheels are 17x7.5 and the stock tire size is 265-70-17. If you're going to keep the 20s, 275-55-20 is stock size.

We have a couple guys on here from Boca and more from PBC. For two years now we've gotten together to race and fellowship. I've got a Tech-2 that I'm happy to help the locals troubleshoot their trucks with.

J B pdt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders are great tires! They don't really have any road noise, and they look pretty good.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have custom (Summer Wheels/Tires) for my Tahoe and the wife's Yukon. I really like and run Nitto's NT420S on all my vehicles, they look good and ride just as well.

jfuse01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders are great tires! They don't really have any road noise, and they look pretty good.

I put Michelin Defenders on my ‘16 Tahoe back in January. Great tires so far. Bought them through Costco. Good price through Costco.com

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Defenders hands down. Haven't found a better highway tire yet.....

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's just me, but every Michelin I've ever had was great for the first year or two, then turned in the scariest tire ever. I had Rain-X tires about 20 years ago and after 6 months they became the slipperiest tire in the rain. Before that I had Dunlop D60A2 and those gripped the road like claws even after about 4 years.

Then my sister got Michelin all seasons (I'm not sure what kind) and she experienced the exact same as me. First 6 months great, after that scary. My Ford Explorer came with Michelin snows which were great for the first two winters. After that, even though there was still plenty of tread left I could barely move, even in 4WD. That was embarrassing.

JoeMiner67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have always bought Michelins and been very happy with them. They ran smooth, quiet, and lasted forever. A year ago, I bought a 2015 Yukon Denali that came with Bridgestone Duelers and did not like them from day one. Lot's of people do like them, but I found them to be noisy, slippery and hard riding. The salesman at Discount Tire recommended a new tire, Yokohama YK-HTX285-45 RD22s. He promised I would love them. He was right. They are very quiet, ride very smooth, and so far have shown exceptional traction. We don't usually get a lot of rain here in South Texas, so the pavement goes a long time without a rain to wash it down. After a long dry spell, especially when the first rain is a light one, the roads are just about as slick as they were in Kansas City after an ice storm. During this past year, I have yet to spin a tire with the Yokomamas. I highly recommend them.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used mostly Michelins for the last 50 years. I've had two Tahoes and hate how they handle on the highway, always wondering. I finally switched to a different brand (Bridgestone), and I can't believe how much better the handling is! I'm not constantly fighting it to keep it in the lane, much more relaxing. Plus, they don't have the problem with weather checking that Michelin has had for years. I'm sure they'll last as long as the Michelins, at least the ones on my Silverado have.

I may never go back to Michelins...

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's just me, but every Michelin I've ever had was great for the first year or two, then turned in the scariest tire ever. I had Rain-X tires about 20 years ago and after 6 months they became the slipperiest tire in the rain. Before that I had Dunlop D60A2 and those gripped the road like claws even after about 4 years.

Then my sister got Michelin all seasons (I'm not sure what kind) and she experienced the exact same as me. First 6 months great, after that scary. My Ford Explorer came with Michelin snows which were great for the first two winters. After that, even though there was still plenty of tread left I could barely move, even in 4WD. That was embarrassing.

Not all Michelins are good, like not all Continental or Goodyears are not all good. In the 285/45 the Michelin is one of the best all season highway tire I tried to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63