Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryno97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tire size question. Have a 2017 Hoe with custom 20inch rims and 275 55 r20s with no suspension mods. Dealer put on the custom shoes. They are Pirelli Scorpion verde all season. Have performed great except in snow and living in Philly that doesn’t work. Was looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus and was wondering if anyone else has these. Like the look and they are good on the highway as I drive a lot on the street. Lastly how big can I go without front turning rub? Appreciate all your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 3

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a wheel with an OEM offset, I believe that you could put a 305/50x20 tire on it with no rubbing. That is what I use. If you want to do some physical measuring, you can read the following:

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

OP
OP
Ryno97

Ryno97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have a wheel with an OEM offset, I believe that you could put a 305/50x20 tire on it with no rubbing. That is what I use. If you want to do some physical measuring, you can read the following:

Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.
Sadly I don’t have any info on the custom rims they put on. I have no idea on offset or width as I hear it’s listed on the inside of the rim‍♂️

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside is inside by brakes usually.

It will have the width and an offset usually.

Well worth pulling a wheel to see...or if you feel confident, look up your wheel and see what all they offer. I bet you can narrow to a choice or 2 very easily

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have any good pics of the side looking down the vehicle it will be easier to confirm.

Your wheel should be slightly closer to the outer edge of the fender than a stocker...mine are a 24mm. Slightly deeper BS than your wheel.

OP
OP
Ryno97

Ryno97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

So I decided to go with the 275 60 R20 Pirelli Scorpion AT plus. They look sick and I got a great price.

Few items to address. The front tires were rubbing on the rear wheel well when you turned the wheel. More prominent on the passenger side. Was able to perform a NorCal mod on the front wheel wells. Couldn’t find any videos on a 2017 Tahoe NorCal mod and I think I know why now. The rear heating system runs through the passenger side so it was a challenge but we got it done. About 1.5 inches we cut out of the rear of the fender wells. Perfect clearance now. Overall couldn’t be happier with the look and performance of these new shoes.

falconK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tire size question. Have a 2017 Hoe with custom 20inch rims and 275 55 r20s with no suspension mods. Dealer put on the custom shoes. They are Pirelli Scorpion verde all season. Have performed great except in snow and living in Philly that doesn’t work. Was looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus and was wondering if anyone else has these. Like the look and they are good on the highway as I drive a lot on the street. Lastly how big can I go without front turning rub? Appreciate all your help.
Hi I got a 2015 Tahoe (PPV), and just replaced the original 265/60 r17 with nicer 275/60 r20. NO RUBBING at all. I was concerned about rubbing since I understand the manufacturer puts 275/55 r20 on some Tahoes, but I got a great deal on 275/60 r20, so I was happy that no rubbing occured after installation. Just keep in mind this is a 2015, not sure if 2017 is any different in the tire wells.

Kasper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

So I decided to go with the 275 60 R20 Pirelli Scorpion AT plus. They look sick and I got a great price.

Few items to address. The front tires were rubbing on the rear wheel well when you turned the wheel. More prominent on the passenger side. Was able to perform a NorCal mod on the front wheel wells. Couldn’t find any videos on a 2017 Tahoe NorCal mod and I think I know why now. The rear heating system runs through the passenger side so it was a challenge but we got it done. About 1.5 inches we cut out of the rear of the fender wells. Perfect clearance now. Overall couldn’t be happier with the look and performance of these new shoes.
Any pictures man. I'm trying to do one on a 2013 tahoe. 22x14x35 -76 offset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2