Tire decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
FWIW to the OP, while I like the Duratracs for winter driving, I wouldn't consider them if you're wanting a tire that's more resistant to damage from rocks. The sidewalls in the Duratracs are just NOT up to the task. I've seen many a shredded Duratrac on trail rides and, in fact, one fellow Jeeper I was behind on a very mild trail with NO rocks popped his sidewall on a blunt root that was sticking out.

Bottom line there, Duratracs would be a hard pass for me if I was going to be driving through rooty ruts or stoney paths.

Thanks for the feedback! The non-stop train of unexpected expenses finally stopped at fort chowder so I picked up some tires today. Ended up getting a pretty good deal on some BF Goodrich rugged terrains in the factory 265/70 size. Just drove around running errands after and they seem great so far. Pretty quiet on the highway but not silent like the michilens that were falling on it before. I was expecting that though. So far they seem like they were a good choice for mostly street driving and a more aggressive tread than the pure highway tires I had.
Don't mind the filthy state of the vehicle it hasn't stopped raining much so I am being lazy.

IMG_20181020_162259.jpg IMG_20181020_164201.jpg

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally had one of the K02's blow out. The guy I bought the truck from had gave me a new General Grabber AT2 (no rim just an extra). I went to two tire shops. They refused to swap tires on the basis that all 4 wheels had to match. I'm completely baffled.

My plan had been to buy a second general grabber at2, then put the best of my KO2's onto the spare tire. Then mach up an axle with the AT grabbers.

However, they incised all 4 wheels. Walmart said they would let swap tires on rims if I bring the rims w/o the truck. They did end up putting the one AT grabber on my spare tire rim which I used to get home but wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

I have a masters in engineering and did vehicle design for some time. I kind of get what they are saying, but really? They argue the balance of the truck would be off by like a 1/2 inch or something. Then we have dudes doing lifts and all kinds of stuff which I found was quite silly to argue. I felt it was just a tire selling tactic or regulation if any backing at all.

Do you guys run into this too?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
I finally had one of the K02's blow out. The guy I bought the truck from had gave me a new General Grabber AT2 (no rim just an extra). I went to two tire shops. They refused to swap tires on the basis that all 4 wheels had to match. I'm completely baffled.

My plan had been to buy a second general grabber at2, then put the best of my KO2's onto the spare tire. Then mach up an axle with the AT grabbers.

However, they incised all 4 wheels. Walmart said they would let swap tires on rims if I bring the rims w/o the truck. They did end up putting the one AT grabber on my spare tire rim which I used to get home but wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

I have a masters in engineering and did vehicle design for some time. I kind of get what they are saying, but really? They argue the balance of the truck would be off by like a 1/2 inch or something. Then we have dudes doing lifts and all kinds of stuff which I found was quite silly to argue. I felt it was just a tire selling tactic or regulation if any backing at all.

Do you guys run into this too?

That's a bit over zealous of them for sure. When. I was a VW/Audi tech I wouldn't put a new tire on an AWD car when the rest were completely worn but those are some sensitive systems. Last time I had to buy only one tire I was still a tech and did it myself but some times people get what's ideal and what's dangerous mixed up. But I feel like at Walmart the corporate office is making the rules to sell more.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet you were an audi tech? Wow, that's like working on swiss watches or fighter jets lol Those things are crazy complex.

Wal-Mart was nice enough to say, we get what you are suggesting, just bring in the wheels without the car and we'll make it so. Silly local tire shop spoke to me like I was looking to kill someone. I definitely understand if you have 9 year old tires and want to replace to then okay. But an argument that it would throw off the center of balance such that the car could not be handled was silly lol

I typically don't like to replace only one wheel (unless maybe the spare tire). I like to do an axle set.... I honestly, don't think doing one wheel would hurt much other than possibly make the alignment funny, or if weights are dramatically different.

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
That's pretty sweet you were an audi tech? Wow, that's like working on swiss watches or fighter jets lol Those things are crazy complex.

Wal-Mart was nice enough to say, we get what you are suggesting, just bring in the wheels without the car and we'll make it so. Silly local tire shop spoke to me like I was looking to kill someone. I definitely understand if you have 9 year old tires and want to replace to then okay. But an argument that it would throw off the center of balance such that the car could not be handled was silly lol

I typically don't like to replace only one wheel (unless maybe the spare tire). I like to do an axle set.... I honestly, don't think doing one wheel would hurt much other than possibly make the alignment funny, or if weights are dramatically different.

Thats good they at least gave you a workaround where no one is getting in trouble. I was an Audi tech in the early 2000's so it was mostly late 90s early 2000's before they were super complicated, mostly worked on Volkswagens, the new ones blow my mind. We have gotten in a crazy horsepower war at the same time as creating some insanely efficient engines. Had a 2011 Jetta GLI DSG transmission that with just downpipe and a wate/meth tune and my crap driving was running low 13's at over 100mph, needed slicks but it was my commuter lol.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good they at least gave you a workaround where no one is getting in trouble. I was an Audi tech in the early 2000's so it was mostly late 90s early 2000's before they were super complicated, mostly worked on Volkswagens, the new ones blow my mind. We have gotten in a crazy horsepower war at the same time as creating some insanely efficient engines. Had a 2011 Jetta GLI DSG transmission that with just downpipe and a wate/meth tune and my crap driving was running low 13's at over 100mph, needed slicks but it was my commuter lol.

That is insane! I know they get really good gas mileage and are fun to drive. I just never bought them because they are so complex. I felt I couldn't work on my own car. My buddy needed a computer to change his brakes (release the caliper). I did change out some stuff for a friend on one on an Audi A4 but felt I never want to touch one again. It made me very nervous.

And here I am tearing every inch of this Tahoe apart I bought with no fear lol

OP
OP
Chowder

Chowder

Reaction score
That is insane! I know they get really good gas mileage and are fun to drive. I just never bought them because they are so complex. I felt I couldn't work on my own car. My buddy needed a computer to change his brakes (release the caliper). I did change out some stuff for a friend on one on an Audi A4 but felt I never want to touch one again. It made me very nervous.

And here I am tearing every inch of this Tahoe apart I bought with no fear lol

I can't deny the these trucks are simple lol. So far I have been pleasently surprised by how easy things were to fix. And my god the cheap parts! even quality replacments are so cheap compared to factory V.A.G parts. I have to admit I still get an itch for german cars though. Mostly when I am fixing something simple and I wonder why the engineers didnt make it complicated for no damn reason haha.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My background is engineering. When you want a TP hanger you get a paper towel dispenser from the Germans. When you want an ice box you get a refrigerator. And it's cool until it isn't. Although their cars are fun to drive. I'm not sure when they adopted this mindset of more complex is better. It defies basic lessons instilled in me when I was an engineering student. That is KISS Keep it simple stupid. I have a friend who is an engineer at VW. They stole him from Ford. Maybe they will arrive at more elegant solutions now :)

As for the truck, it's awesome, I can take things apart and just see how they go back together. It's super simple... But I can also see where they cheapened things :/ Silly GM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2