Tire chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boatguy

Reaction score
I’ve used those diamond pattern chains for the last 15 years or so on our 2WDs and love them. Way better lateral traction and smother than the ladder type. Easy to install too.

I have a 2017 4WD Yukon with 20” rims, so I went with eTrailer’s Titan class S chains. Now that I’ve installed them once, it looks like regular clearance chains—with desirable larger and thicker links—would have fit on the rear tires just fine. Have not had to use them yet, but I did drive up and down my street to verify fitment. Seems like 95% of our chain restrictions here allow 4WD to carry chains, so it’s doubtful I’ll ever use these.

One thing I would verify on your chains is that the cinching pulley (the big red thing) is all steel and not plastic. The plastic ones can fail if you get into the deep stuff.

Be sure to get the rubber chain tighteners too.

Good luck.

2C50499C-0C43-4652-A14C-BB1424ECCCEC.jpeg

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With snow tires and 4wd would chains really ever be needed? I’ve been in some pretty tough storms and was fine without...just curious.

Boatguy

Reaction score
With snow tires and 4wd would chains really ever be needed? I’ve been in some pretty tough storms and was fine without...just curious.

Most of the chain requirements in the Calif mountains are R2, which means AWD or 4WD with snow tires on all fours have to carry chains. Once and a while though it goes to R3 where it’s chains required, no exceptions. Quite often they just close the road rather than going to R3 as Californians suck at driving in the snow. Hell, we can’t even drive in the rain...

I’ve been going to the mountains my whole life and I’ve seen the “No Exceptions” sign several times which I guess translates into once every few years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garandman

Garandman

Reaction score
No problems driving around Boston or trips up to Mount Sunapee or elsewhere in N New England.

Last storm at Sunapee was 14-15” of extremely wet, heavy snow. Got stuck in the driveway. Couldn’t believe it. Had to pull it out with the tractor. It should be noted it’s a 700’ long gravel drive with a rise at the end. If you look at the trees you can see how weighted down they are. This was shortly before a tree took down the powerline and we were on generator for three days.
2018121508240002-IMG_3628-L.jpg

Mount Sunapee gets 120” of snow on average and 150” last season. So having a set of chains in the trunk seems worth the $80-180 it costs for a set. Just spent a bunch on logging chains for the tractor as well.
F88A08F6-7E2D-41BE-958B-7E80D8DC17D0-L.jpg

Btw Does 4WD low range lock the transfer case, or is there a way to do so manually? The owner’s manual states:

“4 n (Four-Wheel Drive Low) : This setting engages the front axle and delivers extra torque. Choose 4 when driving off-road in deep sand, deep mud, or deep snow, and while climbing or descending steep hills.
Shifting into 4 n will turn Traction Control and StabiliTrak off. See Traction Control/Electronic Stability Control 0 267.”

Says not to use it on pavement or roads with good traction, but doesn’t actually state it’s locked.

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems driving around Boston or trips up to Mount Sunapee or elsewhere in N New England.

Last storm at Sunapee was 14-15” of extremely wet, heavy snow. Got stuck in the driveway. Couldn’t believe it. Had to pull it out with the tractor. It should be noted it’s a 700’ long gravel drive with a rise at the end. If you look at the trees you can see how weighted down they are. This was shortly before a tree took down the powerline and we were on generator for three days.

Mount Sunapee gets 120” of snow on average and 150” last season. So having a set of chains in the trunk seems worth the $80-180 it costs for a set. Just spent a bunch on logging chains for the tractor as well.

Btw Does 4WD low range lock the transfer case, or is there a way to do so manually? The owner’s manual states:

“4 n (Four-Wheel Drive Low) : This setting engages the front axle and delivers extra torque. Choose 4 when driving off-road in deep sand, deep mud, or deep snow, and while climbing or descending steep hills.
Shifting into 4 n will turn Traction Control and StabiliTrak off. See Traction Control/Electronic Stability Control 0 267.”

Says not to use it on pavement or roads with good traction, but doesn’t actually state it’s locked.

Yeah that was a bad storm. I have a place further north than sunapee and we got clobbered too. Out of power for 5 days. With blizzaks I’ve never gotten myself into a bad spot but I agree having a set of chains isn’t a bad idea. Good thing you had the tractor!!

Hattie2879

Reaction score
So I've been looking online and I'm wondering if anyone can assist. I'll be driving (ONE WAY) from northern CA, through NV and UT, up through southern WY, down to Colorado Springs in February and I'm thinking that I'll need to carry tire chains due to various state laws. Does anyone have any recommendations on CHEAP tire chains that meet the requirements? I will NEVER need them after this drive, as I'll be living in the south.

My Tahoe is a 2017 Z71, with 265/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs with the stock wheels. Thanks!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You got all the fun toys! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2