Tips on replacing rear control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to replace upper & lower REAR control arms this weekend. Vehicle has 138k miles. Ride is decent but I can hear a few chirps now and then from rear end and so I figure the bushings are done. Passenger side arms looks okay but there's ample surface rust on driver side lower control arm at the leading bolt point.

Any special tips that I should know about to make this job simple, quick and easy?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is for a NBS but, same idea/process for the install on our vehicles.
Skip to 2:30 :)

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out that the chirping isn't related to control arm bushings or sway bar bushings. Can't figure out what it is.

Seems like it's coming from rear passenger side. Sporadic chirping or jangling sound. High-pitch. Only when vehicle is in motion.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, might want to check your brakes, caliper could be sticking.

Mine is actually doing this right now. I'll be pulling my wheels off tomorrow to grease and replace what needs to be to resolve this issue. Its pretty annoying, you hear at any speed and you can hear it echo off of buildings and other vehicles.

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea have you noticed it when applying you brakes?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.
Typically during acceleration or coasting.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The squeaking broke me down yesterday, hahaha. It has been getting noticeably worse. The funny thing is I don't typically hear it during the week. Reasoning I presume would be I drive a little faster during the week days to and from work. Weekends are more cruising with the family to and from the beach.
Went through my brakes. Started with my rears, only because my drivers rear caliper stuck last time and wore out the entire pad almost clear through the metal backer. THIS time it was the front passengers caliper that was stuck, stuck so bad I had to get a new one but not bad enough to do damage to the rotor like the rear did. Just enough to get to the wear strip on the brake pad.
Glad that's all it was haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu