'Tighten Fuel Cap' creating a P0455 DTC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h_d_ryder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004-2006 Tahoe. Has anyone had a 'Tighten Fuel Cap' message that ends up creating a P0455 DTC, and tightening or replacing the cap does not correct the problem? Did you find your EVAP leak?
So far I have replaced the Fuel Cap, vapor canister vent valve solenoid and attached hose, and vapor canister purge valve solenoid.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a smoke test, the 455 is a large leak, so you'll see the smoke easy.

OP
OP
H

h_d_ryder

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a home made smoke machine. Where do you suggest I have the input line into the system? At the fuel cap location, or is there a better location?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gas cap works, or pull the evap line off the engine and smoke it from there.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  • A fuel fill cap that is left OFF after a fuel fill will cause this DTC to set.
  • A loose, missing, or damaged fuel fill cap can cause this DTC to set.
  • A blockage or restriction in the EVAP purge solenoid, purge pipe EVAP canister, or vapor pipe, can cause this DTC to set.
  • A temporary blockage in the EVAP purge solenoid, purge pipe, or EVAP canister could cause an intermittent condition. Inspect/repair any restriction in the EVAP system.
  • To help locate introduce smoke into the EVAP system. Move all EVAP components while observing smoke.
  • To improve the visibility of the smoke exiting the EVAP system, observe the suspected leak area from different angles.
  • Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed may help determine how often the condition occurs that caused the DTC to set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2